Wedding Highlights shot with A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 15th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding Highlights shot with A1

I shot a wedding over the weekend using the A1. It went great! This camera is very easy to use when your runin and gunnin. I especially loved the Kelvin switch as it made white balacing a breeze. I shot this by myself so I was running around like a mad man. I'm sure the couple will be very happy as they only had a very basic package to start out with.

www.joesimonproductions.com/video/kjhd.mov
Joe Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #2
Major Player

great footage.. did you use a small jib for some of those shots?
Also what kind of stabilizer are you using with the A1..

Good work, images look great!
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I used the Kesler 8' crane, and the Glidecam 2000 pro.
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Joe: thanks for posting this ... great job. Whatever you're charging, raise your prices ;) Your clients will be thrilled.

You have to be ecstatic with these images. There was one lowlight shot, however, the one where you are panning across the reception tables, and the faces look smudged, blurry ... is this due to the Quicktime compression? Or did it look that way on FCP (I assume you used FCP to edit). Do you remember what gain setting you had the camera on for that shot, and was the blur due to the gain noise?

What did you think of the lowlight performance, now that you've shot a wedding with it? (Did you bring the PD170 along just in case?)

Also, I assume you shot in 24f?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey Joe,
Great job on the highlight! I do have a few questions as a potential XH-A1 owner. How was the feel of the camcorder for you on this job? In comparison with another camcorder you film weddings with. Lastly you were using a on board light, what type was it? The footage looked great (also the low light reception) and I'm very excited to see what this cam can do. Thanks for sharing and posting your experience. Much appreciated

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dave - The table shot I was at 6db, no light. The smearing is only with the quicktime compression, the FCP file looks good, faces are just dark. This was shot at 30f, I wanted to test it that way before jumping to 24f. I will be shooting one this weekend in 24f! I thought the A1 performed very well at the wedding in low light, and I did bring the 170 as a backup.

I used the sony 10/20 watt light which I used on 10 most of the time. I just ordered some cool lux 35watt lights that have a dimmer and soft boxes. I think they will do much better at lighting the whole screen.

I used to shoot weddings with the Sony PD170. I think this camera being able to shoot in 24,30 and HD does an amazing job. Also I like the controls a lot more on A1.
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Joe -- what did you think of the LCD screen on the A1? Comparable to the PD170 in terms of usability?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Hello Dave,
How is CT, I used to live in West Hartford.

Great Recap Joe. I really enjoyed it. I bet the bride will be thrilled with her wedding video.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I have a crane and a Glidecam, but I've never been able to use the crane at a wedding due to time and room to use it. You said that you shot with one camera. Did you do it all by your self? I usually work with 3 manned cameras plus a director and still can't see how I could have time to take a crane set it up and not miss anything. How do you do it?

Great Work!!!
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I shot with 3 cameras at the ceremony by myself. 2- XHA1's, 1 - HVX200. It was a Last minute change to HD so I could not get my other shooters out there. Usually an HD package would be 3 people, 2 shooters and one assistant to move the crane and set up various items.

I Arrive to the venue a few hours earlier than the bride just to get crane/time-lapse shot done. Its a lot of work but looks awesome later. I hope to do a proper HD wedding shoot later this month.
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #10
Major Player

what are you charging clients for this set up? (what's your price list?)
Isn't ourweddingvideo in austin?
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Well this wedding paid a whopping $1300. haha. I'm trying to build up our new HD demos so I'm pretty much shooting all existing packages with this set up. Our new HD pricing is starting at $3000

Our Wedding Video is in San Antonio
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Simon
I shot a wedding over the weekend using the A1. It went great! This camera is very easy to use when your runin and gunnin. I especially loved the Kelvin switch as it made white balacing a breeze. I shot this by myself so I was running around like a mad man. I'm sure the couple will be very happy as they only had a very basic package to start out with.

www.joesimonproductions.com/video/kjhd.mov

Hi, Congrats you have some nice shots there.
I would like to know some things:
1. Are you previewing this with a HD 1080 display, If so how does it looks, mainly in the low light parts.
2. When using the crane is the Cam in Auto mode?

Thanks and congrats again.

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #13
Major Player

How did you feel the extra weight of the camera affected the Glidecam 2000? Any more fatigue than the PD 170?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #14
Major Player

wow.. that's cheap!

$3000 is much more like it for that deal with a jib and 3 cameras.. sheesh
in SOCAL it would be more like 4,5 or 6k.. of course my prices aren't that much eaither but they have been up to 4k on a wedding before (in SD, 3cam, Aviator, +lovestory)..

Cool.. good stuff!
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I don't have a 1080 monitor, I'm just using the LCD/Viewfinder. The LCD is pretty good and a lot easier to focus with then the HVX. I even prefer this one over the PD170. When you use the peaking and magnification functions you can get perfect focus.

I only use this camera in manual mode, I don't trust auto settings. When its on the jib I lock the settings for what will look best.

You can definitely feel the extra weight of the A1 over the PD170 on the Glidecam. Especially when you add a light. I shot this whole wedding with the Glidecam and by the end of the night my back was done. I just purchased a DV Multi Rig so I'm going to alternate between the two so I can save my back as well as get different kinds of shots.

Hey Michael how is the Aviator? The 2000pro works ok but it makes you really tired. I'm thinking of getting a new setup but not sure which way to go.
Joe Simon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders