XH-G1 in my hands at last! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 14th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Trustee

XH-G1 in my hands at last!

Ah, the new camera smell when you first open the box....

My first impressions with this camera are very positive. It's big, but not more so than the XL1s. Better balance, strong build, but not as heavy or bulky as an HVX.

It will take some practice to relearn the location of the controls without taking my eyes away from the viewfinder, which on the Varizoom DVrig is at a confortable position. I'm used to side mounted viewfinders, but this setup is just a better fit.

The Marshall HDA monitor is sharp enough for judging focus, even though I'm presently going in via composite BNC (RCA jacks on the included component cable -not very pro. I'll have find a replacement or some adaptors).

I'm not liking the IAF at all. It's too touchy. It's ok for objects ten feet away, but focus on something in arms reach, or zoom in for a tight shot and gets confused as to which object to focus on. (I'm disabling it with the matte box anyway).

The DVRig Pro is a definite buy. I can easily handle this within a busy OR, and the fact that I can point the camera downward is a vital need.

I'm going to test out the HD-SDI tommorrow (if my cineform plugin arrives...) Here's some picts:

http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=753&c=51

Pete
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Looking great, Pete! Congrats -- and thanks for the pics,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow Peter! I thought I buy alot of gear! Congratulations!
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks and your welcome! I was tempted to bring that thing home... however, I opted to bake cookies with my daughter. The wife would approve... :)
Old December 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong
Wow Peter! I thought I buy alot of gear! Congratulations!
Well, there's buying gear and then try finding the time to use it : )
Old December 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Disjecta

Peter, nice rig. What are you using to support your Marshall monitor? Where did you get it and how much?

Old December 14th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey
Peter, nice rig. What are you using to support your Marshall monitor? Where did you get it and how much?

Thank you.

The marshall is hanging off a Noga locking arm. Pretty tough.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sweet rig. Bet you're proud.
Andrew Ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ott
Sweet rig. Bet you're proud.
Only somewhat... :) Actually, I'm more relieved. I won't be having to perform mirales with 4:1:1 green screens, (I'll know more about that in a few days).

I've installed an Xena HS board, and will see what an HD-SDI capture looks like in PPro 2. Wish me luck... :)
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Which rails are those? Cavision? And which matte box?

Thanks,

David

P.S.
I've got to stop posting in the wee hours of the morning.

Last edited by David Ziegelheim; December 15th, 2006 at 08:10 AM.
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:34 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Peter could you post where you got the Matte box, Rails etc and which model Cavision that is? What filters you have for it etc.
Thanks
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #12
Major Player

That just looks awesome Peter. Looking forward to hearing about your test results.
Old December 15th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
The Marshall HDA monitor is sharp enough for judging focus, even though I'm presently going in via composite BNC (RCA jacks on the included component cable -not very pro. I'll have find a replacement or some adaptors).
The adaptors should be relatively easy to find in a shop selling electronic or computer parts...
Jerome Marot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #14
Major Player

Impressive....most impresssive...(you star wars geeks know who I'm quoting...) anyway nice Rig Peter, I'm looking forward to you posting some clips in the near future.
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #15
Trustee

David, John I order the cavasion kit CAMB44DVXN. It's both for the DVX and XL2 camcorders, and fits the G1. However, it's at the near or extreme positions. I think cavasion should come out with a more flexible model specific to these. However, it works and gets the job done.

I have the bellows to get a little more protection, at the cost of zooming through a little if I pull the bellows out more than 2 inches. The flap is sturdy enough with a locking mech that can be screwed down to hold it, but it's not variably adjustable.

The filter holders are metal, as well as the rail mounts. With the rods appearing to be made of carbon fibre. Both the flap and matte holder on the end of the bellows is ABS, which is fine as it keeps it light. So, the right materials are in use where needed.

Jerome, I'm aware of the adaptors, but even so, I still run the risk of having a cable pulled loose (which is reason for wanting BNC to begin with). RCA jacks on comsumer camera being hooked to consumer equipment is fine. But this camera, being HD-SDI should take exception and canon should have provided pro connectors for the component ends. Since this is a custom cable, I'm tempted to break out the wire-cutters and solder on some BNCs instead, (are you listening Canon?)

Now I'm off to test the signals and such. I'll see how PPro2 natively handles the signal with the Xena board. I now have a preset in my project folders for HD-SDI capture.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders