Audio Confusion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 21st, 2006, 09:30 PM   #16
Contributor

Has anybody checked in the menu to see if there's some function you can switch to change that? This is not good.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:58 PM   #17
Contributor

I'm looking at the manual now and it says:

3. Set the input channel selection switch to Ch1 or Ch1-Ch1

This is on the chart on Pg 48, in the left column uner XLR input terminal
it lists CH1 and next line CH2.

Next column is Position of the Input Channel Selector Switch, and the third column is Recorded Channel.

My interpretation of this is that you set both input channel selection switches to CH 1, but you have a cable coming into both Ch 1 and 2. If the input switches are both set to CH1, according to the chart the recorded channels will be Channel 1 and Channel 2.

Can somebody try this and then see if it allows individual channel control?
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM   #18
Wrangler

The XL2 and XL H1 are the same way. Except for the addition of the mic/line switch that the XL2 didn't have, and the XH cameras being strictly 2-channel (no four channel capability; if you use 12-bit, ch3 and ch4 are blank) the audio switching in all these cameras is identical. So, two things that people have asked about that the audio system in the Canon cameras doesn't do:
- The volume levels on the two channels cannot be independently set when set to Ch1.
- The single mic/line switch works for both XLR jacks. You can't have two XLR mics with one at mic level and one at line level. You're either in mic or line level for both XLRs.

EDIT: Bill, that chart is the long way 'round to describe what I said in post #4. It definitely is confusing; I've looked at that same chart in the XL2 manual, the XL H1 manual, and now the XH manual and I STILL have to stop and think it through every time I read it.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:13 AM   #19
Major Player

Ahh, yes, I guess your right, I was thinking of the DVX, my bad. I guess they really couldn't have made that any more confusing.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:36 AM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
That's news to me. You're saying that when Ch1 - Ch2 is selected, the Audio 2 pot is disabled, and whatever level you set for Audio 1 is duplicated to Audio 2. Bummer. Good to know that however. Thanks for pointing this out Chuck,
That's how it was on the XL2 also. I posted before in the XL2 forum that they really should label that switch with an arrow like, Ch1 -> Ch2. This setting essentially duplicates channel one onto channel two and yes, the volume for Ch1 is the sole control.

I agree with the others that maintaining separate channel levels using both pots would be desirable for keeping one track at a lower level.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely
... On the XHA1, if you run the xlr channel 1 into both channels, you can't control the volume independently. I hadn't needed to use it before now and was very surprised to find out it wouldn't work.
chuck
This is really bad news indeed. Until this I was pretty sure I will order A1 next week (when PAL version is supposed to arrive here). But for my use it's very important to have separate control for ch1+ch2 when using one shotgun mic. Uh.. I really hope this is just firmware error.
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

It's not a firmware "error." It operates that way by intentional design (unfortunately). It is an annoyance, but I don't see how it could possibly be a deal-breaker for you. Simply connect an XLR splitter cable between the mic and both inputs... problem solved.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Not a deal-breaker, but all these things affect for my own V1/A1 battle. XLR splitter is solution, but I always want to keep things as simple as possible. Buying a new cam is always making + / - lists. For me it is very hard decision between Sony V1 and Canon A1. This audio thing only made me so disappointed because the A1 has looked almost unbelievable promising tool ..and still is ;)

Last edited by Poppe Johansson; November 22nd, 2006 at 02:44 PM.
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:11 PM   #24
Contributor

I always use an XLR splitter to record to both channels so I can keep one down slightly, but I guess I'm misunderstanding this thread. I thought people are saying you can't control them independently. What am I missing here? I just shot with a friend's XL2 and do the audio that way--good audio into channel 1, down a few db into channel 2 in case the subect gets louder. My understanding of the manual was that the A1 could do that too, but my understanding of this thread is you can't, but then Chris is saying you can?

I need more coffee, I guess--been up since the wee hours for the shoot.
And now, I'm waiting on the damn UPS truck. My A1 has been sitting at the UPS warehouse since last night. It didn't make the morning delivery, so hopefully it'll be here before 5....
Old November 22nd, 2006, 04:16 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Here's the short answer, Bill:

Use a splitter instead of the Ch1-Ch2 switch, and you have independant level control.

Use the Ch1-Ch2 switch instead of a splitter, and you lose independant level control.

The switch simply duplicates Ch1 and its level over to Ch2. In this case, the Ch2 pot is ineffective. No need for a splitter, but no separate volume control either. If you want one mic at two different levels on Ch1 and Ch2, then you'll have to use a splitter. No splitter required if you don't mind having the same level on both channels. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 04:18 PM   #26
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. I always use a splitter when shooting interviews and run channel 2 down a bit from channel 1, so no problem at all here. Cool.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 05:42 PM   #27
Major Player

Bill, I think the confusion is coming from people that have been using other cameras, like the DVX. I have used it for years, plugging one mic into Channel 2, you can then set channel one to record from channel 2 input, and channel 2 to record from the same, but you have volume control over both of the them independently. But truthfully I don't see what the big deal is having to put a dang XLR splitter, about ($9) on the end of their mic cable and just leave it there. If you have to use two channels no problem, if you only have to use one, just take it off.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM   #28
Contributor

The XLR splitter is a great thing. I made my first one in the early '90s and one lives in the camera bag, another in the audio bag. I consider them essential for shooting anybody who speaks.
Old November 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Another audio annoyance

I love my new A1 but...

Am i wrong or does the Line in/mic apply to both Inputs? Hence you can't easily run an external mic into input 1, and a line feed, say from a mixing board, into input 2. Yeah, I know you can externally pad the line feed down, but this means that your kit now has to have both a splitter and a pad, two more little things to get lost on a busy shoot.
And come to think of it, those two level pots are cunningly designed to be hard to adjust and there is no on screen meter to tell where they are set.

I'm having flashbacks to my XL-1 which required the Beachtek to get servicable audio.

Pretty picture though...
Jim Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #30
Wrangler

You are correct. The line/mic switch applies to both XLR jacks.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders