Changing display settings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 25th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #16
Major Player

Yeah, seems like right behind the power wheel there is a lot of undeveloped land.. coulda put a frame-rate toggle, Gain wheel and OIS toggle there...
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Was just thinking about the OIS yesterday. A button would have been great.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
When you set the zoom display option to "off" and close out the Custom Display menu, you're still operating with the default display items. You'll have to press the "Disp." button (above the Mag and Peaking buttons) in order to activate your chosen Custom Display options. No more zoom bar, even when you're zooming.

There are four different stages that cycle through the Disp. button each time you press it. For more information about Custom Displays and how they work, see this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80269

Hope this helps,
Hey Chris,

I'm having the exact same experience as Bill Pryor in that thread:

"I tweaked all the display settings the way I want and everything works properly--except for the zoom bar. I can't get rid of it, no can I change it to just numbers, although if you turn the wheel off manual to one of the automatic shooting functions, it goes away."

Figured out the cycling through the display buttons early on, and it works for everything else - for example, I shut off the white balance indicator, and it goes away as expected, did the same for the xlr indicator - but the zoom button stays no matter what.

Same as Bill, this is only in manual mode. In any of the other modes, the zoom bar disappears. Is this a bug?
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Stu,

I've moved your post from the Firmware Wishlist thread over to this one, which is more appropriate for discussing your issue. I have an XH A1 here and I'm not able to duplicate your problem. Here are my steps:

1. In the Custom Functions menu, I changed #12 Zoom Indicator to 00 (Bar), applied the set and indicated "active" before closing the menu.

2. In the Custom Displays menu, I changed #03 Zoom to 00 (Off), hit return and closed the menu.

3. At this point, the Zoom indicator still appears when I toggle the zoom rocker or turn the zoom ring. This is normal because the Custom Display hasn't been activated yet.

4. Now I push the Disp. button one time. My Custom Display settings are now active. The Zoom indicator goes away completely and does not show at all, even when I toggle the zoom rocker or turn the zoom ring.

5. I confirmed that it works this way in each of the M, A, Tv and Av program modes.

6. Each time I press the Disp. button, it cycles through the four stages I mentioned previously... All On, Custom Display, Grids & Markers Only, All Off.

Can you check your camera and verify that this is how it's working for you? When you cycle through the Disp. button, are you seeing the difference between all four stages of the display options?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I'm following your directions to a T (those were my settings to begin with, but I triple checked), and the bar won't go away in M mode. It does in all the others.
All my other custom display settings display correctly in M mode, but the zoom bar stays. It's not active, but it is there. In every other mode it is gone.

This seems to be exactly what Bill is experiencing.

Any guesses? Could this be a firmware thing? This is day one with this cam for me - should I be swapping it out for another unit?
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Are you sure it is not the iris bar? I set zoom to numbers Z0 to Z99 and do not see a zoom bar in Manual mode during zooms. I can see a bar that is showing the iris point and that bar disappears if I zoom ...
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #22
Regular Crew

OK, egg on face time.

The zoom bar does disappear. What takes its place is the exposure bar. I got rid of it with the Cam 2 settings.

Thanks Chris.
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Toussaint
Are you sure it is not the iris bar? I set zoom to numbers Z0 to Z99 and do not see a zoom bar in Manual mode during zooms. I can see a bar that is showing the iris point and that bar disappears if I zoom ...
When you set the zoom indicator to numbers, then you might see an exposure bar but you're not going to see a zoom bar. The option for the zoom indicator from within the Custom Function menu is a choice between Z numbers or the zoom bar. You can have either one or the other but not both. This isn't the same thing as the exposure indicator bar, however both bars are displayed in the same part of the screen.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #24
Regular Crew

That is what I said ... the zoom bar is gone and the iris bar is there If you want.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

I misunderstood what you were saying. My apologies.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders