Magnet trick on the A1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 29th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #16
Major Player

Maybe I'm just being too simple-minded here and there's something wrong with this thought process, but wouldn't you just be able to hold the camcorder upside down to test if it was a mechanical level sensor versus a switch? If it doesn't flip, then you know a magnet wouldn't work.
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #17
Major Player

The sensor will likely 90% be a small mercury switch and thats why a magnet works on this sort of switch.

Mercury switches are commonly used to detect orientation changes in camera and camcorder LCD's. Mercury is a metal that is liquid at room temperature, and responds to magnetic fields.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger
Maybe I'm just being too simple-minded here
Remember Occam's Razor: the simplest solution is often the best one. This is an example.

Stu: Mercury is diamagnetic which means that it attempts to retreat from a magnetic field rather than be attracted to it but the effect is much too feeble to allow it to be used in a magnetically controlled switch. Relays with mercury wetted contacts are, or used to be, made but the parts moved by the magnetic field were ferromagnetic. Mercury switches were frequently used to sense level but it was gravity moving the mercury relative to the contacts that operated them. A magnet would not have any measureable effect on such a switch. Today environmental and health concerns make it very unlikely that these cameras would contain any mercury for any reason and if they did there would be special instructions for disposal of them in the manual
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #19
Regular Crew

[QUOTE...
Today environmental and health concerns make it very unlikely that these cameras would contain any mercury for any reason
...[/QUOTE]

I agree with you A.J. It couldn't even be sold in EU for that reason, let alone sensitivity to shock and camera position. Still, it's possible LCD flip is controlled by reed microswitch and small magnet. Reed switches are designed for that and widely used i.e. in alarm systems. Maybe someone will be successful trying stronger magnets, but my guess is LCD in XH-A1/G1 uses simple contact microswitch. The way the flip works in XH-A1 seems to confirm it.
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #20
Trustee

Did anyone find a way to flip the lcd yet? I tried with a magnet for a long time but no go. The FX1 was a beauty to work with when it came to 35mm adapter. With that huge lcd that needed a simple magnet to flip.

But to be honest, the more I work with the A1, the more I start wondering if you really need a 35mm adapter with this camera. The A1 has a nice bokeh and dof than many adapters, without the hassle of having more weight and now a monitor attached to the camera.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #21
Trustee

Oh, btw, I'm going to make some test with and without the letus35A today to compare. One thing I can say straight away is that the A1 doesn't need any macro or spacer to work with the letus.
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

I think your best bet is to use an inexpensive external LCD display that's capable of flipping the image... for example the entire iKan line is super-affordable, check them out at http://www.ikancorp.com/v7000.htm

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I have been experimenting with a Sony RM-95 remote control connected to the LANC of a Sony camcorder. While browsing some of the adjustment menus I came across the image flip feature. Now, memory addresses do differ from camcorder to camcorder, so if anyone decides to give this a try, bear in mind that it will take some experimenting before you get the needed results.
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Palomer
I have been experimenting with a Sony RM-95 remote control connected to the LANC of a Sony camcorder. While browsing some of the adjustment menus I came across the image flip feature. Now, memory addresses do differ from camcorder to camcorder, so if anyone decides to give this a try, bear in mind that it will take some experimenting before you get the needed results.
This is very weird. You plugged a remote control to a camera and a function that exists on the remote and doesn't exist on the camera worked on the camera?
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I wonder whether this can be achieved through firmware upgrade ? add a menu option of flip LCD display ?

I am willing to pay extra for Canon if this is possible to achieve just like they can make 30f/60i in PAL XH-A1 with few hundreds dollar charges...
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Why not simply use a small external LCD monitor for this purpose... it would probably be less expensive than paying Canon for a firmware change.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #27
Regular Crew

External monitor would mean more battery supply is needed and you need to lock it to somewhere you can view, a flip option built in will be very convenient.

Definitely if Canon ask for USD300.00 for this then I may just go to buy a 8" LCD which is bigger and cleaner... (well at the same time, more battery needed too, what the real cruel world :<).
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #28
Major Player

What I'd really love (which I suspect isn't possible in firmware) if the camera could flip the image before it got to the tape. That would be really useful.
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #29
Major Player

That said, if you're working on the calibre of production that requires image flipping due to 35mm adaptors, I'd agree with Chris about the external monitor - especially as you really want to be monitoring HD on a good sized monitor, if possible.
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Alex, that is really nice.

Perhaps Canon should maximise their "customise feature" more:

- 50i/25f + 60i/25f USD500.00
- LCD flip USD 100.00
- Recording flip image USD 400.00

That is another USD1000.00, it is a good deal Canon should think about : ).
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders