Magnet trick on the A1? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Yes Alex & Chris, please don't get me wrong, I love to have bigger monitor but the weight of XH-A1 has already challenged my arm so much (actually it is my father & brother's arm at this moment but I am even more tiny then them).

And we do mostly wedding video which is about 16 hours shooting (sometime start from 2am morning until 12am next day, yes, crazy asian wedding ceremony).

I need a battery last long and make more stiff and heavier, or with a lot of power cable wrap around me, yet i still need to run in and out, cut the corner to get into important scene,.. a big external monitor would make my work even more challenging.. especially if i am going to put on a 35mm adapter with follow focus in such environment... (that is why i look for the most versatile 35mm adapter like Brevis but yet i love the quality image of SGpro RII.. haven't decide on this one yet)...

Any good advise for me ? ta~
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #32
Trustee

How's this (with the varizoom pro rig and Marshall HDA):

http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=753&c=51
http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=752&c=51

I've already carried it around for an hour and my back is non for wear.

It's a bit of a challenge if you stoop or drop to a knee, but manageable with practice.

It's better than my three point rigid varizoom rig, lot less wobble and the air piston support rod dampens much of the movement.

BTW, the peaking feature is a must if you don't use an external.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Thank you Peter :D, your gear is just a dream to me... those are expensive stuff I am prioritise them as "very good but not essential" to me.

It is hard earning money to do videographing in Malaysia, especially in a small town call Kuching, I probably need to take about 35 wedding project to earn one A1.. that is about 16 months of business.. (urh! why i love making wedding video so much ??).

But I keep your picture in my budget list... if one day you would like to sell your used item, please do not hesitate to contact me (provided i do have some spare money.. :p).

ta~
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #34
Trustee

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to make you drool and lay awake a night :)

I can see you're point as far as your personal situation, and it seems feasible. I did note that the flip out LCD, when using Peaking, was just as effective in getting focus as using the 7" marshall. Having viewed both at the same time, I'm happy to know that I don't always have to rely on the Marshall to get focus. The LCD's peaking does the trick and I'll get more focused shots than previously thought.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Regarding the A1's continued inability to flip the image - the Letus35 Flip Enhanced does exactly that, automatically. No rendering either, on ingest or in post.

Unless, might there be some reason not to go with the Letus35 Flip Enhanced? Is there some image quality loss caused by the Letus flip?
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #36
Regular Crew

There is always quality loss the more glass you put in front of the lens - I don't know if Letus is worse or better than others. But the main issue is light loss. There is already light loss in a 35mm adapter, flipping it the image introduces more as they must be using a mirror or prism or something.
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #37
Contributor

The footage on the Letus site looks pretty good.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #38
Regular Crew

I think the image flip is done with a prism. And according to the website "light loss is about 1.5 stop plus SLR lens' light loss." Is this too much light loss, in anyone's opinion?
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders