Recommendation for a rain cover for A1/G1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Any chance you could post a pic? With the LCD open?
Or email me a picture? matt@mattcrane.net
Matt Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:26 PM   #17
Regular Crew

When using the rain cover the only practical solution is to use the VF. You won't be able to see anything of any use on the LCD with rain on the cover.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I have the CRC14. Sorry no photo's of it on the camera but if I use it tomorrow at a British winter wedding (it sometimes rains in Britain) I'll try and get someone to take some snaps. I used it at one point yesterday and it did a great job.

The LCD opens up and shows through the side panel. I used a combination of this and the viewfinder and it did a good job. I got it from site sponsors Production Gear although I'm not sure if is was shown on their website.

www.productiongear.co.uk

Guy called Simon Beer was very helpful.
Mark G. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #19
New Boot

PortaBrace has a rain cover specific to the XHs. A picture with the LCD open is posted on their site; see http://www.portabrace.com/product_detail_B.php?id=3626

I have one on order; I cannot yet comment on how easy it is to use.
Frederic Gittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #20
Major Player

i used the kata crc-14 for a little bit. it was usable, and it is possible to flip out the lcd inside of it, albeit awkwardly. the area on top for the mic was too long, and unless your mindful of it walking around or tie it down, it will cover the built-in mic completely and possibly even fall into your frame. might be better with an onboard shotgun, but i haven't tested that.

i just got the portabrace a few days ago. i haven't had the opportunity to play with it, but it's a snug fit and obviously made for this camera. the area for the flip-out lcd is nice, as it doubles as a hood and has several clear panels to view the lcd from the side or bottom. the area with the side hand grip is very nice too -- very roomy and comfortable. the fitting is something i'm going to have to play with again. i couldn't immediately see a way to completely expose the built-in mic, but it will definitely accomodate a shotgun on the shoe and mic holder. and while the cover is on, it was a bit tight to comfortably access the focus ring and some of the manual controls. i'll report back again if necessary.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders