Recommendation for a rain cover for A1/G1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 29th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommendation for a rain cover for A1/G1?

Has anyone found a good rain cover that works well with the A1/G1?
Would prefer the option of being able to also use the LCD.
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Contributor

I bought a Petrol bag for my A1, it it came with a rain cover. It allegedly fits the Z1 and similar size cameras and allows for use of the LCD. I haven't put it on yet to see if that's true. You can check it out at B&H.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks Bill - I'll check it out. I also saw that kata had a cover, but I don't know anything about them
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Contributor

This is the one I got:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
I bought a Petrol bag for my A1, it it came with a rain cover. It allegedly fits the Z1 and similar size cameras and allows for use of the LCD. I haven't put it on yet to see if that's true. You can check it out at B&H.
Have you used the Petrol bag with the A1 for very long? Would you recomend it for use around town and for travel (vacation or whatever)? Can you fit the A1 in the bag easily with the wide angle adapter and another mic on it? Does the bag have easily accessible room for attachments? I'm looking for a good bag.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Major Player

I got one off ebay for the DVX100 it is a generic knock off of a Kata, but of very good quality and it fits well, but a external mic doesn't fit with it.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I saw that Kata is showing the CRC-14 as being applicable to the G1/A1 and it looks like it does support an attached mic. I might try one out
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #8
Contributor

Scroll down in this thread and there's a picture of my A1 in the Petrol bag:

http://dvfreelancer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2288

There's room for an attached mic. The camera can slide back toward the right quite a ways more if you wanted. I have it positioned to the left a bit too much. The bag comes with all these velcro pads and things, which I took out except for the U-shaped cradle ones. You can't see it very well, but there's one at the right for the bottom rear of the camera. It fits perfectly into that, and doesn't slide around. The front one I stuck on the side of the bag to provide a soft pad at the lens end.

I've always used Portabrace bags before but thought I'd try this one. It has some things I like better than Portabrace and some things I don't like as well. The main thing I like is the way it zips open for better access. It also has built-in rigid pieces, like thin sheets of plastic or something, which is nice. And it has a hard bottom with feet--very good when placing it on wet ground. The handle is cool too. One piece snaps into the other for carrying. And the side pockets are really big and roomy.

I think the bag is quite a bit heavier than the Portabrace because of the solid pieces, hard bottom, etc. Zippers seem good and sturdy and overall I like it. My Portabrace bags, however, feel a bit better built. I have some that are 30 years old.

A friend of mine got a Kata for his Z1 and he likes it a lot. There's also a British made bag sold by Tapeworks Texas (sponsor on here). I can't remember the name offhand, but if you buy your A1 from them you get it free. It looks pretty good too, but I couldn't tell for sure from the published info if the lining was plastic or what. It sort of looks like that tough pvc type stuff and there's some info that's a little ambiguous, but I'm not sure. That orange lining of the Petrol is fuzzy velcro-friendly stuff, so you can stick the pads anyplace. I think I like the interior linings of Portabrace better.
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

How does the Petrol rain cover for the Z1 work with the A1?
Geoff Dills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I just used the kata I'd been using with my dvx, and it fits the A1 better than it fit the dvx. Had it on with a shotgun, wireless in the hotshoe, and wireless on a bracket one.

http://tinyurl.com/36pxxe
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #11
Contributor

I have the Petrol rain cover but haven't even looked at it yet. I'll check it out soon.
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #12
Regular Crew

one from b&h is the portabrace

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Kalulu Ngilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Can someone post a pic of the Kata RC-14 over the A1? With the LCD open?
I need to order something soon.. have a short film in the rain coming up, as well as some sport video work (will be dusty/dirty) and need a cover....
Matt Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Also, has anyone checked out the Kata CRC-15? It looks sweet.
Matt Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:52 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Crane
Also, has anyone checked out the Kata CRC-15? It looks sweet.
I have the CRC-15 and it fits fine.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders