Canon XH series -- various sample clips - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 31st, 2007, 12:58 AM   #256
Regular Crew

I don't get it, but that's probably because I don't understand what she said at the very end. lol. What did she say?
Jerrod Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:06 AM   #257
Regular Crew

I get it, the tv only shows garbage. One big comment would be to not touch the zoom. Find your shot, hit record and then don't even think about zooming. Feels too cheesy.
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:43 AM   #258
Regular Crew

Ok, Jerrod she said:"but it is (TV), that is stinking so bad!".
So the Steve's idea is true; thank you Steve for your comment; I'll try in the future.
Bye bye Luca Ghione
Luca Ghione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:10 AM   #259
Trustee

this is great, can we see next episode?
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:15 AM   #260
Regular Crew

A Winter Day - nature captured with XH-A1

Hi all,

I have my XH-A1 for some time now but haven't had the time to shoot some more serious footage. Last week I finally took some time and shot some nature images in my backyard.

I used the CP17 preset in available light. It was shot at 4 pm-ish what resulted in some nice magic hour sunlight in some of the shots.
No adapter was used and no color correction.
I used an old photo tripod (waiting for a new one to arrive) which wasn't stable enough for some shots.

I rendered out 2 versions.
720p (38MB): http://www.binaryconcepts.nl/xha1/a_winter_day-720p.wmv

480p (15 MB): http://www.binaryconcepts.nl/xha1/a_winter_day-480p.wmv

I would appreciate your comments.

Regards, Andre.
Andre Theelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM   #261
Major Player

Pretty nice. I would recommend trying to lock down your tripod more for when you do a rack focus, ore make use of the button on the side of the camera where it will do a rack focus at the touch of a button, either method still requires a locked down camera to prevent the shake that I saw. Overall very nice and relaxing. I would have preferred more shots with the sun on the leaves that created interesting shadows and really showed the frost melting. Good work :)
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM   #262
Regular Crew

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the remarks.
Yes, as I don't have a follow focus unit yet, the rack focus was done manually and that shook the tripod. I had some more footage with rack focus action but those had really bad shake (it was cold and my hands started shaking...) so I had to leave them out.

In my next short I will definitely pay more attention to that.
Andre Theelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #263
Major Player

Sounds good. I will be waiting for em.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #264
Regular Crew

"Dayvan Cowboy" by Boards of Canada. Shot at Castle Point, New Zealand - Canon XH-A1

Hey everyone. I'm really new to posting to The Digital Video Information Network forum. Please forgive me if I make a mistake :p

Just want to post a link to this site to show you my recent 'experimental music video', as taken with the Canon XH-A1. Backing music is by Boards of Canada - using "Dayvan Cowboy".

My aim in creating this short clip was to experiment with the zoom pre-sets, panning on the tripod, manual exposure control with f.stops, sticking to 1/50th shutter, and the CineGamma 2 setting. It was also a test to see how well my computer and Adobe Prem Pro 2 would with with HD footage.

I hope you like! I still only have under a month of experience with this camera under my belt, so I'd really like your own feedback, tips, comments. Yeah... Thanks very much :D

- Andrew

Vimeo link: http://www.vimeo.com/468432

(When playing this Vimeo video, hit (Full Screen) in the bottom right of the picture - this will play the video in High-Def. Alternatively, you may download the 147MB, 4min clip by clicking the link at the bottom right of the Vimeo page. HD video will download as high quality, 1280x720p MP4 video)
Andrew Strugnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #265
Major Player

What a beautiful place! Just a personal preference, but the jerkyness of the pans and zooms were a little distracting for me in a place that seemed so peaceful, calm and idylic. Colors and sharpness of the picture were very nice.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #266
Regular Crew

Sweet, point taken.
Thank-you!

Just wanting to check, jerkyness as in the time-laspe sections inbetween the smooth pans/zooms? I understand that - yup.
I need to invest in a proper fluid-head tripod otherwise, for the general, real-time panning sections.

Thanks again Jim.
Andrew Strugnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #267
Trustee

Andrew,

Nice job. I left some comments on you vimeo channel. I agree with Jim on the smoother pans but the handheld shots also helped give it an edgy look. Maybe a combo of both.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #268
Regular Crew

RC car shoot, First Cuts

My brother is associated with a company that makes high performance radio controlled vehicles and we did a shoot together to show some rough bashing of his products. these are the first cuts put together, I've still got a long way to go with it, working on graphic titles and different transitions, also some of the shots in the video will not be used in the final. let me know what you think of it so far.

thanks!

http://www.vimeo.com/474972
Morgan Crossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #269
Regular Crew

It is not easy to film fast RC Cars. But if they are standing on place - use a tripod to film it. Unstable pictures never looks good.
Always try to go low with the camera and let the car comin into picture - not get out. Try to show really performance - not only flying and damages.
Look at my old "just for fun" video.
www.arkdelfina.neostrada.pl/emaxx.wmv
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #270
Regular Crew

yeah i know what you mean. i used a tripod for a lot of the shots but unfortunately it was tripod meant for still cameras. so that made it quite difficult.

and i showed a lot of the speed shots and the damage because it's for my brothers company to see the limits of the cars and what they can/can't handle.

thanks for the comments.
Morgan Crossley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders