DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XH series -- various sample clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/81162-canon-xh-series-various-sample-clips.html)

Marcel D. Van Someren November 23rd, 2008 09:09 AM

Without realizing it you answered your own question. You had the camera on full auto. That means auto gain, auto iris, etc.

This camera is not designed to be a point and shoot camera. Instead, just like professional still cameras, to get the best quality, you need to control it manually. Auto gain, for example, typically adds a ton of noise to the picture unless lighting conditions are perfect.

To start with, turn off auto gain, auto white balance, auto iris.

Go into the settings and set your low gain setting to -3

Then practice getting video with these settings and you'll soon be able to get some amazing footage.

There is a lot of information in this and other forums that will help understand this camera better.

Good luck

Bill Grant November 23rd, 2008 01:27 PM

ditto... and ditto

James Orlowski November 24th, 2008 07:16 AM

Premiere Pro CS3 on OSX. It was a fairly overcast day.

Rob Cook November 24th, 2008 11:31 PM

"New York New York"

Had a good afternoon with the family in New York City this summer. It was a little hazy but for using full auto, 24F I'm very pleased. Carried it all day (shoulder strap) and it really was ok. All free hand shots, this camera make shots easy.

New York Summer Afternoon 2008 on Vimeo

Rob Cook November 24th, 2008 11:48 PM

Overcast / hazy makes every things look washed out, almost out of focus. Maybe a filter? I only have a UV filter.

Jeff Nelson November 25th, 2008 01:15 AM

Magic Bullet looks

Playing around with Magic Bullet looks and a ballet rehearsal:

Amazing By Jeff Nelson On ExposureRoom

Russ Motyko November 25th, 2008 02:05 AM

Marcel is right on. Do what he says and you'll notice a huge difference.

Also, the preset that comes from the factory is rather bland. If you want a more stylized/"better" look straight from the camera; download one of the presets found on this forum.

Michael Wisniewski November 25th, 2008 02:17 PM

Aside from the camera settings, the flat overhead lighting in that kitchen probably contributes more to the lack of "image quality" than anything else. It would be interesting if you took the camera out during sunset/sunrise to see if you get different results.

Janson Williams November 25th, 2008 05:22 PM

kite flying edit

kite flying in the park

kite on Vimeo

Olivier Depaep November 28th, 2008 08:55 AM

Sea Life

Hello,

Filmed some animals at our local Sea Life Park and was pretty pleased with the result.
Hope you like it as well.

Sea Life Weymouth on Vimeo

Daniel Vanniekerk November 28th, 2008 05:48 PM

Porsche Vignette

Short subject at a Porsche Club Day

Porsche 5x5 on Vimeo

Morgan Crossley November 28th, 2008 11:36 PM

nice stuff. I got to shoot at a Porsche Club of America autocross event last summer. check it out here:

Autocross Porsche Club Northeast July 2008 on Vimeo

Mitch Hunt November 28th, 2008 11:57 PM

Great Job!

I loved it, the picture was crystal clear. Are you using a preset, or doing color correction in post? I will be getting the A1 soon and would like to know all the methods of getting the best image quality.

Keep up the great work!

Jason Sharaba November 29th, 2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Cook (Post 968576)
Had a good afternoon with the family in New York City this summer. It was a little hazy but for using full auto, 24F I'm very pleased. Carried it all day (shoulder strap) and it really was ok. All free hand shots, this camera make shots easy.

New York Summer Afternoon 2008 on Vimeo

Nice work! I work in Manhatten and take the 6 train everyday! It was good to see someone get it in action. I just purchased the XHA1 myself and will be going in NYC to get some good footage as well. Your video was very inspiring!

Jason Sharaba November 29th, 2008 11:23 AM

Nice footage! I will be doing a short documentry of senior dance students at my mothers dance studio soon. You justgave me some great ideas...thanks!!