Canon XH series -- various sample clips - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #61
Major Player

Thanks!

I shot in 30f mode for the footage, default preset, and 0db gain. Progressive frames are really the only way to go for roto work. Fast-moving subjects will blur, of course, which is why I used a healthy dose of feathering on my masks. Plus, I could be a little sloppier with my masks with more feathering. I might try to dial the feathering down a bit on the next render and see how it looks with cleaner edges.

Hope this helps,
Brian Brown
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #62
Major Player

Boy that's great. Thanks for the info and tips. Do you happen to remember what shutter speed you were set on? I am just really impressed with how the HDV handled the action. When I see sports shots like this it really eases my fears that I will see artifacting. Thanks for the help!
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #63
Major Player

You're quite welcome for the info. The shutter was 1/60th. Anything less would strobe badly with the action. I would have loved to shoot higher, but kept bumping up against low apertures. The zoom on the A1 loses light as it goes into telephoto and can start under-exposing pretty quick.

Indoor sports like b-ball and volleyball are perhaps the worst to try to shoot smooth action with, because gyms are usually lit horribly. I also found that 6db of gain to be too noisy for my taste, but some users don't mind it.

I learned a LOT by shooting several hours of tape this way. I'm sure that the A1 is not the ideal camera for this type of action (steeping zoom mentioned above, tough to focus with EVF and LCD, and you can't zoom and focus at the same time). But, all in all, I'm very pleased with the various footage I shot.

HTH,
Brian
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #64
Major Player

"Remember" clip

720P clip from my short film. Compression really degraded the quality but oh well, you get the idea.

http://www.citizencine.com/films/cel...member_web.mov
Marlon Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #65
Major Player

Marlon, once again you guys are great. I love it just the way it looks. Your editing skills are super. I love the way you take a simple shot an turn it into a fascinating image. WOW.
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Very nice! Great to see what this camera can do with the right person behind it.
Byron Huskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #67
Disjecta

Stills of the day - April 6

Two today...shot at dawn in Kirkland, WA
Attached Thumbnails
Canon XH series -- various sample clips-kirkland01.jpg   Canon XH series -- various sample clips-kirkland02.jpg  

Old April 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #68
Tourist

It looks so calm out there.

Early in the morning, no body is moving. the nature is simply out there.
So carm.... Very nice.
Taeho Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #69
Major Player

Those are cool shots Steve! Very nice! I did not realize that Kirkland looked like that...

Thanks for posting them!
~Gabriel
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #70
Regular Crew

Clip Hosting?

Hello everyone! I'm looking to share my clips with everyone on these boards but I don't have the hosting available to me. I remember reading sometime back about hosting clips on DVinfo's server (media.dvinfo.net) but my email was never responded to.

Thanks!
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #71
Major Player

I do not think it's available at the momene, write an email to Chris. Here is link,
http://www.guitarsmagazine.ru/read.php?girls-list
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #72
Trustee

Oleg you are very naughty.
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #73
Regular Crew

Coasting for Kids Documentary

Hello everyone! This is my first (and so far, only) project I've done with my A1. It came on a Tuesday, and we had to shoot the next day so I didn't really have time to get used to the camera just yet.

Everything was shot on the A1 except for the on-ride footage. This was a class assignment for my Documentary Filmmaking class. There are still some things that need to be cleaned up (like fix some music cues, and re-record the voiceovers)

I'm interested in what you guys think!

http://www.adster.net/videos/coastingforkids.html (60mb, 7:19)
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #74
Disjecta

I have to admit to only scanning it because I don't have the time right now to watch it through. I will later, though. Initial impressions are that it looks like a nice piece. Colors were very saturated, what preset did you use?

The sound is distorting a little, is that in the original?

I'll add some more thoughts later. Thanks for sharing.
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #75
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
I have to admit to only scanning it because I don't have the time right now to watch it through. I will later, though. Initial impressions are that it looks like a nice piece. Colors were very saturated, what preset did you use?

The sound is distorting a little, is that in the original?

I'll add some more thoughts later. Thanks for sharing.
The preset I used was the original VIVIDRGB that weas posted in the preset thread. I do believe there have been several updates to the preset since, but I used the original one.

The audio was recorded using a combo of a Rode NTG-2 shotgun mic and a Sennheiser EW100 Wireless lav system. This camera is a little louder then my old Sony A1, so the mic levels were set a little higher then I wanted and a bit of clipping occurred. But hey - it's all a learning experience!

PS, I'm starting to want the Letus more and more each time I see your footage...
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders