DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   How to set up a firmware update wishlist? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/82673-how-set-up-firmware-update-wishlist.html)

Michael Mann December 28th, 2006 02:56 PM

How to set up a firmware update wishlist?

How could we manage to set up and communicate a professional "wishlist" for a coming A1 firmware update that is likely to influence Canon's decision making?

(I have no idea how poll-threads are started/programmed, but couldn't we have a sort of multi-poll-wishlist, so that every wanted firmware fix/modification is an independent poll in a list?)

Michael Mann December 29th, 2006 11:41 AM

Okay ... I'd love to have the following firmware fixes:

- OIS activation/deactivation from custom keys
- TV mode: shutter speed does not remember the last setting
- TV mode 25F: 1/50s default shutter speed instead of 1/25s (1/25s ist not film-like!)
- Audio: switchable audio limiter

What else?

Stu Siegal January 5th, 2007 11:18 AM

Hey Michael,

Don't know why this thread didn't get more attention, let's revive it.

I'll second the request to make OIS a feature that can be mapped to a custom key - this is a biggie.

Also, rather than having to cycle through the custom preset buttons to choose a custom preset, I'd like the option to map the shutter, aperture priorty, clear scan, etc. positions to custom presets. These modes strike me as consumer-ish, I'd rather be able to spin through my most used presets quickly.

This is right out of the box for me, sure I'll have more.

Ing Poh Hii January 5th, 2007 11:43 AM

I would like to have:

- an option to flip the LCD display (for use with 35mm adapter)
- an option even better as suggested by Alex, record flip stream upside down to tape directly (so no more post production to collect footage shot with 35mm adapter, also useful for quick review).

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2007 01:05 PM

I'm happy to set up a "wishlist" poll. How many items should there be on the list and what should they be... within reason? The suggestions so far are good, but I wouldn't foster any hopes about flipping the recorded image in-camera. However, if hundreds of people indicate that they want it, then who knows what could happen...

Holly Rognan January 5th, 2007 01:18 PM

I would like more options for fine tuning the gain in the menu for the switch positions. I would like to use 9db gain sometimes, or even have the option to use 2db and 4db gain for finer control.

Rick Hensley January 5th, 2007 01:23 PM

I am a fairly new reader of this forum.

So far I have not seen any official representatives from canon post here. Has there been any evidence that anyone from canon that can influence camera development actually reads this site?

just curious...

Holly Rognan January 5th, 2007 01:28 PM

I would like an option to disable the color bars ( So i can permantly remove the tape)

I use color bars sometimes but I dont like the position of it, so a disable option would be great.

Also I would like a custom button in the menu for xlr mic enabling.

I would also like to have options to change the lcd color and evf to match each other. My evf is more accurate representation of color. I wish that I could dail in the color and hue to match my monitor (this has been bugging me for sometime)

Another easy feature to implement is having the ability to set different audio levels for left and right channels instead of being limited to one channel.

I have many things more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Bogdan Tyburczy January 5th, 2007 01:32 PM

When I reported the problem with -40 value in Custom settings, I mentioned DVInfo forum and recommended reviewing advanced users' opinions and ideas. I don't know if it made any difference. What more a humble person like me can do...

Canon make top notch products, but from my experience, their responses and customers relations style were very corporate, something like "Thank you for your interest in Canon products" blah blah blah.... Sure I'm interested! I own them :)

Sure, it would be nice to have one of their product managers regularly participating in the forum.

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2007 01:35 PM

Bogdan refers to his thread at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80723

I'm thinking about merging this thread with his earlier one.

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hensley
So far I have not seen any official representatives from canon post here.

Their current internal corporate policy prohibits them from doing that.

Quote:

Has there been any evidence that anyone from canon that can influence camera development actually reads this site?
I know for a fact that the right people at CUSA do read this site. If you're looking for evidence, here it is:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=31636

Hope this helps,

Michael Mann January 5th, 2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I'm happy to set up a "wishlist" poll.

Great, Chris, I guess we all would appreciate that very much! Thanks in advance.

Maybe we start the poll right away with the wishes that we have so far - but still keep on collecting further wishes in this thread to add them to the poll later. What do you think?

Quote:

I know for a fact that the right people at CUSA do read this site.

Even Canon Support Germany (which I contacted regarding the focus pulsing problem) stated that they are "aware" of this site.

Stu Siegal January 5th, 2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Mann

Maybe we start the poll right away with the wishes that we have so far - but still keep on collecting further wishes in this thread to add them to the poll later. What do you think?

This sounds good to me. I'd also like to add a request for the ability to completely remove the zoom bar on the upper left of the screen (as opposed to just disabling it), it's clutter.

Holly Rognan January 5th, 2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Siegal
This sounds good to me. I'd also like to add a request for the ability to completely remove the zoom bar on the upper left of the screen (as opposed to just disabling it), it's clutter.

I thought you could do this.

Alex Leith January 5th, 2007 02:35 PM

My wishlist

1. OIS on custom key!!!
2. 1/50th default shutter speed in 25F (or at least the capacity to remember the selected shutter speed.
3. Exposure override via iris ring in Tv and Av mode.
4. Soft clipping in manual audio mode
5. Custom presets select via shutter scroll wheel
6. Image flip on LCD (I'm guessing it's a stretch)

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

the ability to completely remove the zoom bar on the upper left of the screen

The ability already exists, in the Custom Displays menu.

Tony Tibbetts January 5th, 2007 02:46 PM

Any sort rotate /flip option would be nice. Be it the LCD or actually recorded on tape.

Stu Siegal January 5th, 2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
I thought you could do this.

The customize display preset 03 effects turns the W to T indicator. Even when I set it to off, the bar is still there, it just doesn't move when I zoom. If I'm misunderstanding something, help!

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Also I would like a custom button in the menu for xlr mic enabling.

I'm confused... this option already exists.

Audio Setup > XLR Input > On or Off. See page 48 in the operator's manual.

Quote:

Another easy feature to implement is having the ability to set different audio levels for left and right channels instead of being limited to one channel.
You mean, when using the Ch1 > Ch1 & Ch2 button? Because otherwise this option already exists.

Bill Busby January 5th, 2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

I would like an option to disable the color bars ( So i can permantly remove the tape)

I use color bars sometimes but I dont like the position of it, so a disable option would be great.

Holly, could you elaborate? Just curious because this makes no sense to me.

Quote:

I'm assuming you're talking about the inability to select separate channels for auto gain & manual. It's either select auto gain or manual gain for BOTH channels... lame! This really irks me as well & can't for the life of me figure out why they designed it this way. It seems it's been this way for a while based on other past models, so apparently either no one complained (hard to believe) or they did & Canon ignored it? I've never ever worked with any camera that didn't have selectable channels for auto or manual gain. It's one of the 1st things I noticed, but bought the A1 anyway :)

Since this is switched based on the body, I'm not sure it can be altered with a menu setting via a firmware update. Maybe I'm wrong?

Stu Siegal January 5th, 2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

I'm confused... this option already exists.

Audio Setup > XLR Input > On or Off. See page 48 in the operator's manual.

I think what she may mean is the ability to toggle between the internal mic and xlr's with the custom keys, without having to go into menus. If not, then I'll add that to the list, for sure.

Lots of times I'll have 2 lavs and want to quickly switch to cam mic to grab some tone for 30 sec, then back to lavs, would be nice to avoid going into menus to do so.

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

The customize display preset 03 effects turns the W to T indicator. Even when I set it to off, the bar is still there, it just doesn't move when I zoom. If I'm misunderstanding something, help!

When you set the zoom display option to "off" and close out the Custom Display menu, you're still operating with the default display items. You'll have to press the "Disp." button (above the Mag and Peaking buttons) in order to activate your chosen Custom Display options. No more zoom bar, even when you're zooming.

There are four different stages that cycle through the Disp. button each time you press it. For more information about Custom Displays and how they work, see this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80269

Hope this helps,

Dirk Bouwen January 5th, 2007 03:17 PM

Firmware wishlist

Excellent idea, the firmware wishlist.

Autofocus in low light: surely, although a lot was promised, this is not the A1's most lucky feature. The focus starts 'pumping' very frequently (I know what real pro's are thinking... but, Canon: make this work as it should be, never experienced similar problems with a Sony VX/PD).

Regarding the low light competences, there's surely room for improvement. Ofcourse, the 'physics' of the cam and CCD's particulary cannot be changed, but really ANYTHING that can help the overall sensitivity/according noise quality in the post-processing of the image is welcome !!!

I wouldn't judge the present NR filtering settings as a fully ideal tools - NR1 is an hardly usable option, NR2 is somewhat better, but I wouldn't get excited of it either. Improve this Canon, make the A1 a rocksolid tool also in the worst light conditions, and you beat ALL competion!

Intermediate steps in the gain: good remark. The configurable intervals are a little big now.

Why not provide (an) additional stop(s) between 1/25 and 1/50 (1/33 and/or 1/40), as this is a very 'critical area' in the low light usage?

The "night" preset as such on the power selector is crap, as already commented, 1/25 is hardly usable, but even beyond that also the filtering can be improved a lot. Change this a least to 1/50 as a standard, and provide a better noise postprocessing.

I didn't find any means to show the remaining battery time in real minutes on the display (as Sony does), but also something I'm missing now: a bar graph is too rough as this is a critical parameter.

In my cam I encountered an issue with the downconvert option. A black line is flickering on top of the image. I'm in discussion with Canon about this, but if this is a serial issue, it should be fixed.

I don't know what's technically possible, but in the VCR/play menu, (down) conversion section, make it possible to convert 50i to 25f (algorithms to do this are somewhere in the camera).

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk Bouwen
Autofocus in low light...

The terms "autofocus" and "low light" are mutually exclusive. Autofocus technology works by measuring the difference in contrast between objects within the frame. If the available light level is not high enough, then neither is the apparent contrast; therefore, autofocus cannot be expected to work in low light. Neither is Canon's "Instant AF" function specifically intended for any situation in which low light levels are already detrimental to the Normal AF function. Instant AF is simply a faster way for the autofocus to work, in normal light conditions that do not adversely affect AF to begin with.

The cure for low light situations is to add light. All cameras need light. Light is what makes an image.

As it is, the XH camcorders perform no worse than any other HD camcorders in low light situations.

Alex Leith January 5th, 2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

As it is, the XH camcorders perform no worse than any other HD camcorders in low light situations.

Personally I think the A1 handles low light focus no worse but "differently" to other camcorder.

With most cameras AF becomes "vague" at low light levels, frequently ranging back and forth.

With the IAF element of the A1 the ranging happens rather more rapidly. It's the same behaviour but looks a bit more intense. It almost seems manic! Heh! Heh!

Anyway, it's a little disconcerting at first (when we're used to AF behaving a certain way)... But you get used to it. And of course, like Chris says, AF is a tool that can help us in certain circumstances, but not something that we should be relying on in low light conditions.

Somewhat off topic... sorry.

Dirk Bouwen January 5th, 2007 04:23 PM

Ofcourse true that any camera needs light... but still, I'd wish that the A1 performs in the 'critical area' as my (non HD) VX...

It surely isn't - not a lot of proof is necessary to notice difference. Even not in the "not so low" light area (both noise & focusing competences). This doesn't want to say that I don't love the A1: it's surely an excellent HD cam!

I must admit that I'm still in the 'learning curve' regarding the A1 (obvious with this panoply of settings). And also true: low light is surely not what I'm requiring daily. But I've got a technical background and like to compare technical competences as well.

The VX/PD's were very well performing in this area. Hard not to think of them as a standard benchmark for any camera, if you're so used to this capability?

Yes, Chris I agree, to a certain extend it's unfair. But you don't always have the possibility to add light, if you're busy with event stuff, don't you?

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2007 04:33 PM

I can understand the need for better performance in low-light situations that cannot be altered with additional light. Standard-definition camcorders, especially the Sony VX series, are better performers in low light because they have fewer pixels in their image sensors than HD camcorders. SD camcorder image sensor pixels are larger than the pixels in HD sensors and therefore gather more light. More pixels in HD sensors means they must be smaller and therefore they don't get as much light. Hence, worse low-light performance in HD than SD.

Raymond Toussaint January 5th, 2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Leith
My wishlist

1. OIS on custom key!!!
2. 1/50th default shutter speed in 25F (or at least the capacity to remember the selected shutter speed.
4. Soft clipping in manual audio mode
5. Custom presets select via shutter scroll wheel
6. Image flip on LCD (I'm guessing it's a stretch)

In Av mode you can set an F number and it stays there and it slows or speeds the shutter to do so. You always can set a different F number with the iris ring.

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2007 05:14 PM

He might be referring to AE shift for the Auto mode. Right now it's in the menu only. Would be great to have it on the iris ring. However, as far as "exposure override" via iris ring in Tv mode, this is on there already via the Exposure Lock button. When pressed, it offers full manual control of both shutter and iris.

Raymond Toussaint January 5th, 2007 06:07 PM

I'll give my three points then.

1. OIS to custom key
2. In Manual: exp. lock button --> behaviors as auto exposure override
3. Peaking and zebra together

Richard Hunter January 5th, 2007 06:31 PM

1. 1/50th default shutter speed in 25F or remember previous shutter speed.
2. OIS on custom key.
3. Exposure lock disables AGC adjustments.

Holly Rognan January 5th, 2007 11:18 PM

How about magnification that works during recording? I shot a wedding recently and I wanted to make sure that it was in critical focus, but I couldn't tell due to the small screen.

Bill Busby January 6th, 2007 01:42 AM

FWIW, & if you didn't know this already... you can set the LCD screen & the viewfinder both on simultaneously in case you need to check focus since the viewfinder is suppose to be somewhat higher rez (although I don't have a problem focusing using the LCD).

Michael Mann January 6th, 2007 01:45 AM

Here's the overview of wishes so far (not ranked yet):

- No focus pulsing during zooms (if fixable by firmware)
- OIS on custom key
- 1/50th default shutter speed in 25F
- remember the previous selected shutter speed
- Exposure override via iris ring in Tv and Av mode
- Soft clipping / limiter in manual audio mode
- custom presets select via shutter scroll wheel
- image flip on LCD
- peaking and zebra together
- Exposure lock disables AGC adjustments
- improvements of NR1, NR2
- additional stop(s) between 1/25 and 1/50 (1/33 and/or 1/40)
- Intermediate steps in gain
- remaining battery time in real minutes
- improvement of the "night" mode
- conversion 50i to 25f
- magnification that works during recording
- fix: -40 value in Custom settings

I probably forgot wishes, so please copy and enlarge/update this list to give Chris a growing, complete notepad for programming the final wishlist-poll.

Raymond Toussaint January 6th, 2007 03:30 AM

Here's the overview of wishes so far (ranked):

- OIS on custom key
- remember the previous selected shutter speed
- Exposure lock acts as 'Push auto exposure' in Manual mode
- peaking and zebra together
- magnification that works during recording
- Exposure override via iris ring in Tv mode
- custom presets select via shutter scroll wheel
- image flip on LCD
- improvements of NR1, NR2
- additional stop(s) between 1/25 and 1/50 (1/33 and/or 1/40)
- remaining battery time in real minutes
- improvement of the "night" mode
- conversion 50i to 25f

Michael Mann January 6th, 2007 08:52 AM

Chris: Maybe we wait another couple of days to let our wishlist grow before starting the poll? Would that be okay with you?

Raymond: Thanks for updating our wishlist. I think we don't have to rank our wishes right now since the ranking will be the result of our final poll.

Folks: How many votes should each member get? Alternative: Every member can vote for every wish (very important / important / not important).

Please keep on updating our wishlist (simply by copying and enlarging/modifying it).

Stu Siegal January 6th, 2007 10:44 AM

Don't forget ability to switch between xlr and camera mics using a custom key.

Chris Hurd January 6th, 2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Mann
Maybe we wait another couple of days to let our wishlist grow before starting the poll?

That's a good idea, it's going to be difficult to change the poll once the voting starts. Also keep in mind that there's absolutely no guarantee that anything will come out of this... I believe that it is worth the effort to try, but it's important not to *expect* anything to happen as a result of this poll. Also, I hope you guys realize that the longer this list becomes, the easier it would be to disregard it as unreasonable? Can you separate the "must have" from the "would be nice?"

Michael Mann January 6th, 2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Also, I hope you guys realize that the longer this list becomes, the easier it would be to disregard it as unreasonable? Can you separate the "must have" from the "would be nice?"

You're right, Chris.
But - as long as it does not take to much time for you to program! - I recommend we should do the separation ("must have" vs. "would be nice") AFTER the final poll, when we have got the ranking. We could then simply communicate - for example - only the top 5 wishes (as a "must have") to Canon. It would be a pity to left out wishes BEFORE the poll, since we simply don't know yet how important these wishes are (in average) to us users. The poll will tell us!
(Of course we should left out wishes that are technically impossible to get fixed by firmware.)

Quote:

Don't forget ability to switch between xlr and camera mics using a custom key.

Super! Thanks, Stu.

Here's our updated wish list:

- fix: focus pulsing during zooms (if fixable by firmware)
- OIS mappable to custom key
- XLR/ camera mics mappable to custom key
- Remember the previous selected shutter speed
- Peaking and zebra together
- Magnification that works during recording
- Exposure override via iris ring in TV mode
- Custom presets select via shutter scroll wheel
- Image flip on LCD
- Improvements of NR1, NR2
- Additional stop(s) between 1/25 and 1/50 (1/33 and/or 1/40)
- Remaining battery time in real minutes
- Improvement of the "night" mode
- Conversion 50i to 25f (playback)

What else?

Stu Siegal January 6th, 2007 11:33 AM

Here's what i'd say are must haves, in order. These are either fixes or functions that I think should have reasonably been expected to be there in the first place, and also seem possible to fix with a firmware update.

- OIS mappable to custom key
- XLR/ camera mics mappable to custom key
- Remember the previous selected shutter speed

The rest would sure be nice, but are less critical or realistic for a firmware update.

- Remaining battery time in real minutes
- Peaking and zebra together
- Magnification that works during recording
- Exposure override via iris ring in TV mode
- Custom presets select via shutter scroll wheel
- Image flip on LCD
- Improvements of NR1, NR2
- Additional stop(s) between 1/25 and 1/50 (1/33 and/or 1/40)
- Improvement of the "night" mode
- Conversion 50i to 25f (playback)