Shooting Stories - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 15th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Butterfield
I have noticed a very noisy picture with most of my shots.
The DVX100 was considerably noisier than the A1. The A1's noise levels seem comperable to most cameras in this price range. The only camera that seems quieter is the Z1/FX1, but that - to my eye - has the coring turned up quite high which reduces noise at the cost of detail levels.

Quote:
Add 3-way color correction in FCP and boost levels and you can see the color noise rear its ugly head.
I've found that boosting levels generally reveals noise - which mostly lives in the darker portions of an image. Generally I shoot low contrast (low knee, black stretch) and then bring the black levels down in post. It pulls the lower end of the image down, and the noise disappears!

Quote:
..you begin to realize where all the money goes when you buy into these professional $60,000 solutions.
Ah yes. But even then you spend ages fiddling around trying to fix problems!
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #17
Major Player

Timelapse (non-HDV)

FWIW: http://scenalyzer.com/ does a nice job with timelapse.
What's nice about doing it in post is there is really no wrong camera setting if it's stable. If you don't like the sample rate, just dial it up/down in scenalyzer and go get another cup of coffee. You don't have to wait for that light to be just right or freeze your bum off that a re-shoot would likely require.

PS I keep spamming them to see about a version that supports HDV. It has many more features that I miss a lot. It really sped up my DV workflow.
James Harring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders