16:9 HDV to SD 4:3 - difficult? Quality? Time? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

16:9 HDV to SD 4:3 - difficult? Quality? Time?

Dear experts!

I am thinking of only shooting 16:9 HDV even if SD 4:3 is required as mostly today in Sweden for broadcast. But shooting everything in 16:9 HDV would mean that I will have a more futreproof archive of HDV material.
You can set the viewfinder with 4:3 marks on Canon XH-A1 using the aspect guide in the display setup - so it wouldn´t be difficult to see that what area you get in 4:3. Great!
I also understand it is possible to crop the 16:9 HDV material to 4:3 SD in say Final Cut.

Now I wonder if anybody has practical experience of doing this regularly?
How tricky is it?
What is the best process?
How much longer does it take to convert material in say a 15 min story?
How is the quality compared to shooting 4:3 directly?
What software have you used?
Is there a simpler way to do it with Canon XH-A1 already when capturing the material?

Thank you! Erik
Erik Palm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders