A1 Zoom Malfunction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 11th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A1 Zoom Malfunction

After recieving my brand new A1 and accessories In deplorable packaging conditions from B&H (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86117) my woes continue as my fear of damage to my A1 is confirmed! The zoom, when shooting in all modes, will intermitently go haywire! Has this happened to anyone else? Every 5 or ten minutes the zoom ring, and the zoom toggles on the top and right side of the A1 will become cease to function or there will be a kind of unresponsive partial zoom and then it will start to zoom back out and can't be stopped! What is going on?!! I'm calling B&H first thing when they open and I am going to be so upset if they give me any $#*! about returning this...
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Keep in mind that you should also have the right to return the camera for a refund.

We have a sponsor located in Austin (Omega Broadcast) and one of the advantages of buying locally is the ability to walk in for face-to-face customer service... well worth the extra two dollars.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris, in my country we only have 1 sole trader and the A1 PAL costs $5143. Is it worth the extra dollars in my case ?
Adrian Paul Spiteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Adrian, I have no idea, because I don't know that particular dealer.

I mentioned Omega Broadcast to Cal because I know them: http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors

The only dealers that we recommend through this site are our Sponsors.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

okay, I've been playing around with it for another couple of hours an it seems fine. It malfunctioned three times in the first 30 minutes of use but hasn't done it since. You guys think this was just some kind of glitch or a hardware problem? Is it worth returning and maybe not getting it back for a few weeks? I'm just worried it might malfunction again in the future during a shoot. What would you guys do? This is so frustrating!!!
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Bickford
okay, I've been playing around with it for another couple of hours an it seems fine. It malfunctioned three times in the first 30 minutes of use but hasn't done it since. You guys think this was just some kind of glitch or a hardware problem? Is it worth returning and maybe not getting it back for a few weeks? I'm just worried it might malfunction again in the future during a shoot. What would you guys do? This is so frustrating!!!
Are you sure nobody has the remote control and play tricks on you?, I use to do that when I sell electronics, changing channels on a customer when he was trying to play with the remote.
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

lol. Not unless someone is hiding outside my windo.
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders