color adjustments at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

color adjustments

I'm testing one of my two new A-1's, conditions are natural light from a window in a basement, shooting a sofa with a deep red and deep green pillow next to eachother, problem is that I can't tell the color of the pillows apart, both seen almost black (live viewing on a Samsung 40" LCD 1080p)...I tried all of the posted presets, also kicked up the CGN to 35, I changed the gain settings to plus 3, and 6, I shoot a lot of weddings and I may get attacked by six bridesmaids when the look at their red or who knows green dresses.... any suggestions? Gary
Gary J. Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Are you sure your monitor is set up correctly? Did you use the pluge from the camera color bars to set the blacks? If not, I'd make that the first step, so that you'll know what the monitor is showing you is what's really happening.

If you have, then try black stretch or running the pedestal up a little, and dialing in more chroma to make the colors hotter.
Dick Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Dick I'll check everything you mentioned out. Gary
Gary J. Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Major Player

I have to run at +12 gain a lot with the second noise filter on medium because of low light. Little grainy but not too bad. Most clients (not all) understand the promblem.

I know this is not your problem, but I'm forever pulling the camera out of the case and not noticing I somehow slipped the ND filters on. Silly but ...
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders