A1/G1 LCD/EVF accuracy.. curious... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 17th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1
Inner Circle

A1/G1 LCD/EVF accuracy.. curious...

does anyone know if the LCD of these cameras is a "what you see is what you get" kinda thing?
Reason i ask is that ive looked at many cameras, and the closest cam ive seen to have this ability is the DVX100b and the HVX.. even the 100a doesnt offer this type of accuracy.. without a field monitor were al gussing as to the actual saturation of what were seeing, as the LCD's usualy have a life of their own..

so how accurate are these units?
for run and gun, i dont have the means to run tests or to mount an external monitor, so the LCD is basically needed to get the job done..

thoughts?
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Peter,
Adam Wilt's review in DV magazine states tha both the VFW and LCD display 100% vertically and crop a "few percent" horizontally. You can turn on guide lines that mark off safe areas.
-Dan
Dan Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Certainly the LCD displays most of the recorded image. Like Dan says 100% top to bottom, and about 95-96% side to side.

However, it's quite a bit brighter than the recorded image - which is great when working outdoors in fairly bright sunlight - but it took me a while to work out why my footage was always coming out slightly underexposed!
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
Certainly the LCD displays most of the recorded image. Like Dan says 100% top to bottom, and about 95-96% side to side.

However, it's quite a bit brighter than the recorded image - which is great when working outdoors in fairly bright sunlight - but it took me a while to work out why my footage was always coming out slightly underexposed!
THATS the answer i was wanting..
Now is there any way one can flatten the brightness to a neutral output, to offer the closest preview (in the EVF/LCD) to the actual output?

I wasnt too impressed with the lack of audio tweakability.. heres hoping the LCD's can at least be tweaked...
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Concertina bellows hoods???

Is anyone familiar with this type of LCD bellows ?

http://www.canhamcameras.com/Bellows.html

It appears to be a viable alternative to the usual velcro Hoodman type for the on-camera LCD and even the Marshall.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Camcorder viewfinders and side-screens are WYSIWYG in the sense that you're seeing the image at taking aparture, at taking shutter speed and through all the menu tweaks (progressive scan, black stretch etc) that you've applied.

In film camera days viewfinders were much less informative, generally peeling off the image before the shutter and not showing you the aperture related depth of field. Of course projector masking was generally rather less severe than a lot of TVs, but screen masking was another matter entirely.

I like the fact that now we see just what the chips are seeing, especially the DOF and effects of graduated filters at the taking aperture.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fisk View Post
Is anyone familiar with this type of LCD bellows ?

http://www.canhamcameras.com/Bellows.html

It appears to be a viable alternative to the usual velcro Hoodman type for the on-camera LCD and even the Marshall.
Interesting Jay. I haven't seen those. Now... if only I could use my mag lens from my Hoodman with it, I'd grab one. I wonder... hmmmm...

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
Now is there any way one can flatten the brightness to a neutral output, to offer the closest preview (in the EVF/LCD) to the actual output?
Hi Peter. You can connect the video output from the cam to a calibrated monitor, and adjust the LCD/EVF settings to get as close a match as possible to what you see on the monitor. This is not perfect, because the LCD apparent brightness will vary with ambient lighting, but it gets you close and you soon learn whether it is under or over reading.

You should also use the zebras to avoid overexposure, because this is all too easy to get if you just expose based on the average image brightness.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
Hi Peter. You can connect the video output from the cam to a calibrated monitor, and adjust the LCD/EVF settings to get as close a match as possible to what you see on the monitor. This is not perfect, because the LCD apparent brightness will vary with ambient lighting, but it gets you close and you soon learn whether it is under or over reading.

You should also use the zebras to avoid overexposure, because this is all too easy to get if you just expose based on the average image brightness.

Richard
Yeh i was thinking i might need to do this if i was to get this unit.. i did it with every other camera, but when i saw the HVX/DVX100b and how accurate they were out of the box, i thought i'd doublecheck

As for the Zebras, does the A1 allow for 2 readings simoultaneously.. well a range in fact.. ? Also does it allow for peak numbered readouts (like the DVX/HVX) reason i ask is that sometimes, Zebras actaully get in the way of the shot.. and seeing the exposure with a numbered readout is simetmes easier to manage..
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #10
Trustee

Hi Peter. No you can't set a range of zebras, just a single value. And I haven't seen any mention of a numbered readout. Sounds like a nice feature.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #11
Inner Circle

it is.. basically it removes teh zebra patterning on screen and replaces it with a point peak meter.. like a target of sorts.. which reads out the exposure level in percentages (much liek Zebras work in percentiles.. so does this.. ) the good thing about it as that you can see the exposure blow out as opposed to guessing it through the zebra itself.. sometimes u might WANT a shot to blow out.. (doing events, its a nice way to mess with live lighting situations.. )
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders