Fragile external mic mount clamp? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 14th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fragile external mic mount clamp?

Did Canon fix the mic mount problem before the A1s started shipping?

I remember reading a review somewhere that said the mic mount was likely to fall off because Canon only used two tiny screws. However, I believe that reviewer was using a pre-production A1 provided by Canon.

If possible, can anyone take a picuture showing how the mic mount is screwed to the A1's body?

Thanks for any info!
Herbert Bolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

It's not likely to "fall off" because of the small screws. You just have to be careful not to bump it too hard. Most folks are pretty careful not to bump their expensive cameras at all. If you think it's going to be a problem, then simply remove the clamp.

Click this link to see a photo of the clamp:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...4&d=1159810999

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Major Player

I think the problem itself is not the screws but the mount not being able to take my octava mic without modification.

This is a problem for me. I have since modded it to work but not as well as I would have liked?
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #4
Major Player

There is no problem with the mic mount on ours. It is sturdy. It is the same as the Sony's.

You may question the design, but it isn't and wasn't a problem before or after it started shipping. You should change the title to this thread.

The mic mount sits up well above the body. I would rather have it shear off if I dropped it rather than destroying the body. Canon's still cameras use the same design philosophy on their hot shoes -- better to sacrifice a hot shoe than the chassis.

chuck
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Excellent suggestion, Chuck... the previous title "Did Canon fix the mic mount problem before the A1s started shipping?" was misleading in that it implied that there really is some sort of problem with the mount. I've now changed the title to "Mic mount question." Much appreciated,

Old November 15th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #6
Trustee

The mic mount problem I thought the title was referring to was the "built-in" mic which is loose as I and several posters have noted. It looks to me a little bit more involved to take apart since you need a right angle screw driver lol...
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Woah -- hold on there! The built-in mic isn't loose, it's slightly flexible. And it's *supposed* to flex... that's not a bug, it's a feature. The built-in mic is shock mounted and is fully intended to give a little in both axes of rotation. Canon is to be applauded for doing that. And don't try to fix what ain't broken... you'll void your warranty!

Old November 15th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Excellent suggestion, Chuck... the previous title "Did Canon fix the mic mount problem before the A1s started shipping?" was misleading in that it implied that there really is some sort of problem with the mount. I've now changed the title to "Mic mount question." Much appreciated,
I was actually talking about this reviewer whose pre-production A1's mic mount fell off. Please see link below. :) Did Canon ever change or strengthen the mic mount on the final version of A1s shipped to consumers, or is it the identical from the pre-production A1s? :)

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue06...eracorner.html

(near bottom of page)
"The camera that I have had for review is a prototype. Often there are small problems that are discovered in this evaluation. In my case, while putting the camera in a bag into an airline overhead bin, the mic mount snapped off. I discovered that the mount is only held on by two small, jeweler-type screws, and can easily snap off. Canon discovered this themselves when one of the show display units at PhotoPlus also had its mic mount snap off. "
Herbert Bolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

The answer is that there has been no change to the removeable mic mount. Hope this helps,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders