XH A1 w/ Apple TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 26th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #1
Major Player

XH A1 w/ Apple TV

Does anyone know what the workflow would be to get our footage captured in mpeg from our A1's into iTunes so it can be synced with the new Apple TV? Can we just dump our captured mpeg files into iTunes and sync with Apple TV? Or do we have to transcode it to a quicktime format?

I am trying to understand exactly what would need to happen to get my footage from my A1 (mpeg) into Apple TV so I can finally watch it in High Def in my family room's 60" plasma. Thanks for any help.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke Ryland View Post
Does anyone know what the workflow would be to get our footage captured in mpeg from our A1's into iTunes so it can be synced with the new Apple TV? Can we just dump our captured mpeg files into iTunes and sync with Apple TV? Or do we have to transcode it to a quicktime format?

I am trying to understand exactly what would need to happen to get my footage from my A1 (mpeg) into Apple TV so I can finally watch it in High Def in my family room's 60" plasma. Thanks for any help.
Get QT Pro as there is an Apple TV EXPORT option.

Edit your footage, export in a HiQ QT readable format, export from QT Pro. I've done it with a few clips from my A1. The Apple TV exports are very low bandwidth unfortunately. There are no options to tweak either.

I have exported from FCP as MP4 (1280x720 25p) with increased bandwidth then renamed the file from xyz.mp4 to xyz.m4v and iTunes plays no problem. But I don't know if it is any longer AppleTV compatible. But it does look better!! :)

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Looks like you'll need to turn it into a quicktime movie using h.264 and downrezzing to 720 then import into itunes.
Geoff Dills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke Ryland View Post

I've looked into iTunes for online distribution, and they are being highly selective it seems in what they will accept to sell on the site. More or less, if you haven't secured something with Netflix, Blockbuster, et al, they want you to go through specific third parties they work, who in turn may or may not make your video available through iTunes. So much for the democratizing effect of the internet.

EDIT: reread your question - I was answering something to do with the iTunes retail site, you just want to get it into the program - sorry about that. I think I'll leave my response though, The iTunes store should allow little indies to sell their stuff there too.
Todd Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #5
Major Player

I've done quite a few tests, too, and Apple TV is awesome for viewing and keeping HD content on hand and ready to play. I went out and bought a 2nd Apple TV tonight for my office. The codec does a fantastic job and not looking compressed from H1 and A1 HDV footage.

Compressing is a little long...~4x your footage trt. But it syncs super quickly and looks great. It's a very efficient codec...I did a 4 gig clip and as a h.264 it was about 90 megs!!

This unit is awesome.
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

In my testing of the AppleTV export settings showed how poor AppleTV could get.

I have a shot of the sea and a pebble beach with a heat haze so every pixel is in motion. This really showed the limit of AppleTV as it produced a macroblock hell of an image. Canon's HDV codec held up incredibly well BTW.

TT
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Tony, you are really pushing the codec more than normal. It's a pretty amazing picture for most things...and to think it reduced the file size by about a 40:1 ratio is incredible.

Anyone who is reading this should see it for themselves before drawing any conclusions. I am in awe of how good it looks...recorded from an Canon H1, exported directly in QT, moved over to AppleTV...looks great.
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild View Post
Anyone who is reading this should see it for themselves before drawing any conclusions. I am in awe of how good it looks...recorded from an Canon H1, exported directly in QT, moved over to AppleTV...looks great.
I ordered one the day it was announced. I was already thinking that I'd like to try to encode some of my XDCAM HD clips to play on my living room RPTV and wham...they came out with a QT Pro update with the preset already there. I'm lovin' it!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

So, the bottom line is "If you like your iPod, you will love Apple TV", right? :)

It seems to me this is another cool gadget, nice product, but it won't be appealing to lovers of uncompromised HD quality. Those will probably prefer Blu Ray, just like there are people who can't stand the sound of boombox and install quality audio systems in their cars and living rooms.
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I wonder if m4v will become the de facto format for uploading files to share. WMV might take a hit. The compression ratio is amazing.

I downloaded the AppleTV start up movie and it is encoded as 1280x720 24P at approx 6200kbps (IIRC) while the QT Pro exporter only generates 5100kbps files.

Can someone with an AppleTV test what is the highest bit rate it will cope with?

I exported a MP4 from FCP and simply renamed the file to m4v and iTunes accepted it. I wondered if AppleTv would work with such a file?

I really must get one of these boxes!!

TT
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #11
Major Player

The question isn't whether or not it will accept the file...its whether or not the box can handle streaming it. I'm sure Apple locked their export preset for Apple TV for a reason.

- Kyle

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders