Lots of Help/Reccomendations here Please Give me your thoughts - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 7th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sipe View Post
more and more people are suggesting the hv20 to me, but it seems to me personally that i have a stubborned bias about the a1, that i need it.

similarly why i opted for the DSLR for 1000 instead of the PnS @ 400.

I agree with everyone, its the skills behind it that matter. I just dont want to pay 850-900 for this HV20 take it outdoors, and then i get an A1 and take it to the same place and get blown away by the quality of the A1. Is the 3ccd that much of a difference?

As i said I am not a professional, I have a lot to learn. Will i be completely hindered by the HV20's capabilities when learning this new stuff? I am just scared of making a purchase and then being dissapointed with it 3-4 months from now.

I have seen a number of A1 owners comment on how shockingly close the HV10/HV20 can be to the A1 in picture quality. Of course you'll get a more consistent result with the A1 if you know what you're doing. But don't forget there are manual controls on the HV20 too....just not nearly as many. But when you see the picture quality of the HV20, you'll be stunned.

I for one think it produces a superior HD picture to my Sony FX7.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
The impression you are also giving is that the exposure, in no matter what mode, will continue to adjust automatically. My experience is that is not so. Once you toggle on the exposure control with the joy stick, that locks the exposure until you move out of that mode.
You are correct Chris. There is more manual control than many people think on the HV20.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
You are correct Chris. There is more manual control than many people think on the HV20.
I know how much manual control there is. It's just that it is less that the A1 and the H1. I don't care if the FX1 or HC1 or whatever has less amd this is closer to those controls or better. From where I am standing the HV20 is missing key manual controls that I need. Does it do ok when using as a handycam? Probably, but in a professional shooting environmet do you really want to be "messin' around" with trying to figure out what exposure setting is going to equal no gain when you should be focusing on getting the shot right? I like my HV20 but the workarounds are a distraction from shooting. I will stick with the right tool for the right job.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #34
Trustee

Maybe this has been mentioned but a key manual control that makes a difference in every day shooting is the switchable ND filters on the A1 allow shutter speeds that gives video fluidity.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Maybe this has been mentioned but a key manual control that makes a difference in every day shooting is the switchable ND filters on the A1 allow shutter speeds that gives video fluidity.
That helps make my point exactly. These cameras are tools but essentially the individual features could be viewed as tools too. Iris, shutter,focus, ND filters, gain and zoom are all components they we combine to achieve a certain look. Different combinations of these get us the looks we want. We are used to using these in whatever setup we desire. With the HV20 certain ones are tied to the others without our being able to seperate them. We are finding workarounds but again...these are workarounds.

I see it like a carpenter who has 5 tools to do a job but he can only select 3 of them but when he chooses the 3 he wants the other 2 still get used on his project, just he doesn't get to choose how, a computer determines it. Sometimes he says, "hey...that came out alright!" Other times the computer doesn't choose well and a jackhammer gets used where a chisel should have been.

Again. I love the HV20 for what it is. I am trying to get people to have realistic expectations. It takes some darn nice video in a lot of situations. But if you find yourself in one of the ones where it doesn't....you will find it hard to take control of the camera and overcome the problems. At least it won't be nearly as easy as with an A1.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Eric, if you already own a Canon DSLR camera then you'll feel pretty quick at home with the A1.
I own a Canon 10D and most of the manual stuff on the A1 looked familiar to me. There's of course alot of extra's you get because it's video (but for that there's dvinfo and the presets you can use).
My point is that if you want to be in control (like I was when I first went for the 10D (for photo) and later the A1 (for video)), go for the A1. I was not sure what to choose, but I'm very glad I went for the A1.
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeremy, I think that is where my mind set has been at. right now I am compiling a list of the accessories ill need and even am picking some of them up. I can only justify an HV20 as a SECOND camera quite easily but not as a primary or first camera!
Eric Sipe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders