LCD Viewing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1
New Boot

LCD Viewing

I have searched for a thread for this problem without success. When I'm out in the bright sunlight, I have a hard time viewing the LCD screen. Is there a shade made to block the glare? I could really use some help.
Allen Kallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

When I bought my camera bag it came with this LCD hood. It fit's the screen great.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Major Player

It's almost worth driving over the border for these kinds of purchases. Same hood at the standard high end video store here is 26.99 (compared to 16.95 at B&H)

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Allen,

You can change the LCD from 'normal' to 'bright' mode which helps outdoors in strong sunlight. It's found in the menu under Display Setup>LCD Setup.

There are things to consider when doing this though....you should be using your LCD or viewfinder as a means to accurately gauge what your recorded video will look like. When you switch to bright mode you are not seeing things as accurately exposure and contrast wise as you would in normal mode with your LCD properly calibrated.

In bright light there are really three preferable solutions...

1) Use the viewfinder

2) Use a LCD hood

3) Use a monitor

All of these cases should again be calibrated for accuracy.

If all you want is a quick solution to be able to frame and focus your subject then the LCD to bright mode outdoors is the quick way to help.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Allen,

You can also make your own LCD Hood, for a few pennies of materials.

Search for my post under "LCD Screen Shade".

This is a small one for my TRV-22, but I made one for each of my other 3 Cams too.

Cheap, easy, and fun to make yourself.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #6
Major Player

I should make one. I was getting tapes yesterday and decided to pick up a hood based on the recommendation. What I didn't think do to was read the part number carefully.

They sold me a Petrol but not the PHM-1 - instead the PHM- A1U, which is all they carried and I just assumed that was the one as it looked like it. He put it on to demo and I mentioned it seemed awfully tight but it did fit.

I just assumed it was the same thing and I was being fussy. But I checked online when I got home and indeed, the A1U (6,5cm x 3.7cm) is slightly smaller and doesn't fit as well, and it's the PHM-1 (9cmx9cm) that people are saying works well.

Trish
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Major Player

I picked up the Petrol PHM- A1U for my A1 (on purpose). The opening fits the screen precisely. The problem is the very tight elastic bands are too tight for the odd shape of the A1 LCD screen. It is a struggle to get them on and off. So I cut the elastic and replaced it with velco. Now it fits like a glove. Be careful of light leaks with anything larger or looser fitting--light leaking in will destroy the purpose of the hood. I still find myself using the eyepiece outside most of the time, even with a hood mounted.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Maybe I'll try the modification instead. Thanks for the tip. Now if only I could sew.
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't know why you guys aren't talking about, let alone buying, the Hoodman Lens Hood with 2x Magnifier! It's only $30 at B&H, doubles the size of the tiny LCD screen, and works well as a lens hood. Problem solved.
Jim Duggins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders