Rain Jacket at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Rain Jacket

I'm looking for a rain jacket for my hxa1.

Anybody here used the Kata RC-14?

Anybody got any other suggestions?
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm also searching for a good and fitting solution. Maybe a combination between rain and dust (sand) protection.
Gert Kracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The kata rain bags are built really nice. Extremely well made. I had one for my Panasonic AG-DVC30. I would buy one for my A1.
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

PortaBrace mini rainslicker

Check out the PortaBrace cover:

http://www.portabrace.com/productB-RS-XHAG1

I had one for my GL2 and just got one for the A1. The one for the A1 is very nice with lots of easy access to all parts of the camera. It even includes an access for an external microphone on the A1's microphone clamp. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the A1 cover seems to be remarkably well thought out.

This is the find of rain cover than is for dust and light to medium rain. Heavy rain, get one of the plastic bag kinds and a remote control.

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Contributor

When I got the Petrol PCUB-1 bag from B&H it came with a free rain cover. I haven't used it yet, but if you need a bag, free is a good price for a rain cover.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I got the porta brace cover...haven't used it yet..but it seems to be designed nicely...covers it well...yet lets you access all the important stuff....a little tricky to get on at first...but once you get it..its nice..
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
When I got the Petrol PCUB-1 bag from B&H it came with a free rain cover. I haven't used it yet, but if you need a bag, free is a good price for a rain cover.
I got this Petrol bag and free rain cover offer from B&H, too. Strange I haven't had to use the cover yet, given that I am in Seattle and it rains here all the time, LOL. The bag itself is very sturdy and nicely configured. Sells for $189.95, IIRC, and the rain cover alone is a $90 value. A good deal in my book.
Jim Duggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Look at this web page: http://www.fxsupport.de/19.html for some pictures of the Kata rain jacket on the XH-A1.

Regards,

Andre.
Andre Theelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #9
Contributor

I spent 3 weeks in the winter in Seattle one time shooting all exteriors and only had one rain day. I think the locals concoct the myth that it rains all the time to keep people from the rest of the country away, since everybody who goes there wants to live there.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
I'm looking for a rain jacket for my hxa1.

Anybody here used the Kata RC-14?

Anybody got any other suggestions?
I have it and I have tested it couple of times. You have to remove lens hood when you install A1 into RC-14, but otherwise there's enough room for the cam and mic (+ something else). RC-14 works fine with tripod but when I tried shoot handhelded, at least my hands produced some moisture inside RC. It's possible to view LCD with RC-14, but it's very hard to focus thru plastic. Better to use viewfinder. RC opens from the top, which isn't the best solution IMO. It's not perfect, but surely it can protect your cam when it's raining.
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders