Skin - Sky detail question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Trustee

Skin - Sky detail question

I got my XH- A1 yesterday (Friday). I am still trying to work out exactly what the Skin and Sky detail does. When I try to set this up most of the screen turns to a flashing white with zebra stripes. Ignoring this and turning up the Hue, Chroma values etc, seems to lessen the amount of flashing white area, but once you have exited the menu nothing seems to have changed. (Yes, I have set the effect to either High or Low)

Any ideas anyone.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The flashing stripes indicate how broad of an image area that the particular correction affects. The change is subtle and hardly if at all visible in either of the two viewfinders on the XH camcorder. You'll need to cable out to an HDTV to see the difference.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
I am still trying to work out exactly what the Skin and Sky detail does.
It lowers the amount of detail in the skin or sky areas. Really... ;)

More seriously though; the zebras indicate the area which will be corrected. For the skin, the correction makes little skin imperfections, like wrinkles or pimples less obvious. For the sky, the idea if more like getting the perfect blue sky, like in the travel advertisements...

The effect is indeed hard to see in the viewfinder. Try a full HD screen instead.
Jerome Marot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #4
Trustee

Thank you both for your replies. I will have a go, although from the answers you have both given I would suspect that any skin or sky enhancements can be made in Premiere or Final cut - at least you can accurately control the effect.

Thanks
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Major Player

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's opinions on the quality of job 'sky/skin detail' within camera settings does with the A1. Having not tried it out, and having spent many hours in after effects using track mattes and guassian blurs to get the same effect, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on how good a job this preset does. Thanks.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders