Depth of Field - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 25th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #16
New Boot

Thanks Daniel, I didn't know the difference between DOF and background blur. Your post has been very informative for me and hopefully others out there as well...now it's off to practice practice practice.

"B"
Brendan Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Id like to take a quick step into this thread. First few posts I noticed that people said zooming in effects exposure. On the subject your zooming in on your exposure WILL NOT change. The A1 will tell your overall exposure levels have gone down because you most likely cutting out the brighter components on the edge that the camera uses to determine what it THINKS correct exposure should be.

For example you shoot a wide shot of a guy in a black suit. If you then go for a MCU your camera will say underexposed - but if you adjust exposure - your exposure on the guy in the black suit will be different in both shots.

If you are doing a shot like this, you should expose the shot (based on what youre trying to achieve) on the subject. If your shooting a wide shot first - zoom in expose your subject correctly then out to get your wide shot. Then just reframe for your mcu without touching exposure - of course though you need to consider your overall look. If you find that you zoom in and expose your subject how you want then zoom out for the wide shot and everything is overexposed well the answer is simple - you need to light your subject more.

Im out of time right now but there are some other things I want to address on this thread. More later.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #18
Major Player

Noel,

My interpretation of the posts regarding zooming and exposure were that they were referring to the fact that the A1 has a variable aperture lens. When you are at the widest you have a max aperture of 1.6 and when zoomed in all the way the max aperture is 3.5. If you are trying to maximize a shallow depth of field you will be shooting with as large an aperture as possible, so in this regard zooming in does affect exposure, not because the scene being metered changes, but because the lens can't stay at 1.6 while being zoomed.

Last edited by Lloyd Coleman; June 26th, 2007 at 12:32 AM.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Right you are Lloyd, should have taken the time to read it thoroughly.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders