A1 noisy audio before/after example at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A1 noisy audio before/after example

Here's an example of really noisy audio recorded in a wetland on the A1, with an Audio-Technica 835b shotgun mic. I'm not an audio guru, but I cleaned it up using Vegas' Track EQ, which I find to be very effective for buzz/hum/hiss removal.

Does this seem incredibly noisy or should I expect that level of noise when using a mic attached to the camera?

http://www.wildnorthwest.org/audio_t...h original.mp3
http://www.wildnorthwest.org/audio_t... processed.mp3

Load each then you can toggle with your browser's back/forward buttons

Thanks
Brett Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That noise seems very extreme to me. Is the sensitivity set on high by chance? Maybe the XLR mic attenuation needs to be on?

It's odd to me that I have read on this forum about people who have noise problems with the A1, but I have yet to experience it. Some do not like the audio section on this camera. The only thing I have changed in my audio settings is from normal to windy (WS) when I go outside. The only external mic I have used with this camera is a Shure SM58 vocal mic and it sounds really nice. Even the onboard mic, with the sensitivity set to normal, sounds really good to me (well, on par with any other camera I have used).

Personally I am very pleased with the audio section on this camera and the only thing I'd really like to see different is the mic\line input to be independent on both channels. That way I could run a line in on one channel whilst recording with a mic on the other.

Anyway, sorry for getting off subject but the noise you are experiencing is something I have yet to encounter (hopefully never). You did a nice clean up job though! :)

Stacy
Stacy Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Contributor

That hum sounds like you had the mic mounted on the camera and were way far away from the subject and had the gain cranked all the way up. Nice job EQing it.

I've been using a Sennheiser MKH60 and a Sennheiser G2 wireless for mostly interviews and haven't had any hum. The sound quality is better than the company DSR500 with the same MKH60. I have an old Sony short shotgun on the camera for picking up quick and dirty ambience. It's good enough to pull off and use on the fishpole if necessary.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

320hz

Most of the noise I'm having to deal with is occurring at 320hz
Brett Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Wrangler

What audio settings were you using? phantom power? audio gain? etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders