Canon XH A1 for Macro studio capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #1
New Boot

Canon XH A1 for Macro studio capture

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user and although I've already read several threads, I still have a few questions about the Canon XH A1...

I'm planning on buying the XH A1 for macro studio capture...
In my intended setup, the camera will be fixed (via tripod, I guess) and no changes in position/zoom/etc will be carried during capture (maybe some changes between shots)...
I plan to capture direct-to-disk, using Adobe OnLocation, for both its ability to record direct to a firewire hard-drive and for the possibility to monitor the action in real-time...

So, this is my intended setup... There are, however, some questions I would like you guys to answer, ok?

1. With the camera fixed, what's the area I'll be able to capture while retaining focus??? I plan to capture macro shots and would like to frame the scene in such a way that I can narrow the view to an area of about 5cm x 3cm... Is it feasible or am I crazy??? Do I need any extra equipment for this??? If something like 5cm x 3cm is impossible, what is the maximum "zoom" I'll get with the XH A1 (I'm not talking about any post-processing crop, of course)????

2. Will I be able to mount the camera on a tripod an REALLY rely on the live monitor (Adobe OnLocation monitor) to see what I'm doing??? I'll be executing a very precise manual work and if possible I would like to guide myself by means of the monitor. If the latency issue precludes me from doing so, what kind of monitor would allow me to go around this issue???

I have a few more questions, but I guess I'll wait until these issues are solved...

Thanks in advance...

Peace...
Tiago Melo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders