Comp Setting problems with AE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 12th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Comp Setting problems with AE

Ive been having some trouble with after effects and the comp settings. Ive been shooting footage with the cannon a1 in dv mode, 24f 16:9. Im trying to do some color correction, but when i import the footage into after effects, and put it in a comp it looks like its in the wrong aspect ratio, the picture looks pixated and it says its running at 29.97, instead of 23.976. whats going on? can i fix this ?

Thanks
Corwin Garber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

In the "Project" window, right click the file, choose "Interpret Footage", "Main" and make sure AE imported it correctly.

In the "Composition" window click the "Toggle Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction" button.
Rene Roslev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The toggle pixel aspect button worked perfectly, but when i told ae to interpret the footage as 24.976, the footage got even more liney
Attached Thumbnails
Comp Setting problems with AE-liney2.jpg  
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If the footage really is 24f it must be interpreted wrong.
These interlace artifacts on progressive footage can be caused by an attempted pulldown removal.
Make sure "Separate Fields" in the "Interpret Footage", "Main" dialog is set to "Off".
Rene Roslev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The seperate fields is set to off- but im still geting the the same thing
Attached Thumbnails
Comp Setting problems with AE-liney3.jpg  
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Wrangler

I never shoot SD anymore and it has been a while since I opened up After Effects, so I hope I'm not getting this wrong.

But I think that in SD (miniDV) the XH cameras only record 24F with pulldown. So your file is actually 60i using either 2:3 or 2:3:3:2 (whichever you've chosen in the camera's menu). So you should be able to get rid of the interlace artifact by conforming to 23.976 as you've done and then either letting AE guess the pulldown, or telling it in that same dialog which pulldown to use.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

ah! thank you so much it works perfectly now
Corwin Garber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders