Tape won`t stay in the camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Tape won`t stay in the camera

Ok. I have 2 tapes. Both only used in my A1. Both were full with 60i footage. I recorded some 24p footage today to test it out. I realized I was recording over something i fdidn`t want to (it was supposed to be going tapeless to the firestore but kept recording to tape) I ejected the tape...but then decided "Lets see how much I recorded over. Enter the problem. I put the camera in VCR mode and put the tape in. It spit it out. I put it in, it spit it out. I realized I was holding the door out too far so it was pushing the ejecting mechanism. So I put it in and kept the door as closed as possible with out it getting stuck while the tape gets pulled down/in. So it take the tape all the way in...rewinds on its own about 30 seconds, fast forwards on its own (all the while displaying the eject icon) then tells me to eject the tape. So i try the other tape. Same thing. I shut the camera off, took out the battery, put it back in, powered up ...same thing. So I thought...hmmm..this whole tape is in 60i...so i switch the camera over to 60i, and it takes the tape no problem. It takes the other tape as well. Did I make a mistake recording the 2 on the same tape? Thats the only logical conclusion I come to. But why? If that is the issue...
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Are you being careful to push the inner transport mechanism closed first, before closing the loading door?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Yep. Pushed it all the way shut, it closes, pulls the tape down, fast forwards and rewinds, then tells me to eject it. I got it working after switching back to 60i, but am afraid to try it again before I know whats going on.
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I'd say that the transport is definitely confused by the different frame rates -- it's never a good idea to mix frame rates on one tape. Keep them separate. Tape is the least expensive component in the production chain, so it's a good idea to have plenty of cassettes on hand.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Yea thats what I was thinking (a bit too late). I just wasn`t sure if it was a known 'bug' or not, or if anyone else experienced it. I`ll go out and buy some new tapes and test out 24p on its own. Thanks
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've mixed 50i and 25p plenty of times with no such issue...

Not saying that proves anything in regards to your NTSC camera, just that 50i/25f 'can' mix over dozens of tapes without any apparent issue on my two PAL A1s, so it's not an inherent all-encompasing i/f incompatability,
Kris Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #7
Disjecta

Have you tested the camera with a completely different tape since? That would narrow it down to just that particular tape being the problem.
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Major Player

it did it with both tapes i have, both from canon, 1 came with my A1 the other came with the H1 I have at work. I`ll go out and get some this weekend. Have to research what people use and whats best in the the A1
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Major Player

The first day I had my A1 I recorded 24p and 60i on the same tape several times. No problem playing it back or loading and unloading. I had to change settings in FCP of course, to digitize, but otherwise no issues.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders