the 21 minute tape problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 27th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #1
New Boot

the 21 minute tape problem

I shot a documentary last weekend and I shot on one digital Master tape... and the rest were mini dv. This was only because I had one DM tape and couldn't find a local source for them as I was on a very tight timeframe. When capturing the DM, I got the whole 63 minutes into Premiere Pro 2. I was very busy so I just captured all of the tapes (or so I thought). The mini dv's appeared to be capturing the entire length of the tape - but when I went back in to check, they stopped capturing at 21 minutes - EVERY TIME, every tape. Has anyone had this happen? I managed to get all the footage I needed by doing it in 20 minute intervals. I'll certainly not make the mistake of using mini dv tapes in my A1 again. just thought it was weird.

Thanks
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #2
New Boot

File system

Hi Keith,

might it be possible that you have a FAT32 file system on your hard drive where you have captured the mini DV tapes? The maximum file size for FAT32 is 4 GB. This could explain the 21 minutes time limit. Maybe you have captured the DM tape on a NTFS hard drive.

Axel
Axel Ehrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #3
New Boot

I wish it were that simple to explain Axel... all tapes went to the same drive... it's a relatively fresh separate drive and I still have appx 250gb left on it... I've captured other DM tapes no prob.
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Keith... 1st of all "miniDV" is just the tape form factor & nothing else. The Digital Mastering tape you refer to is STILL miniDV. With that out of the way... your problem is something else entirely & Axel's thoughts do make more sense than it being a DM vs. non-DM matter.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm still using the same mini dv tapes in my A1 as I've used in the past in my SD panasonic GS400 recorder.

Never had a problem. No dropouts, no dramas.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders