Dropouts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 27th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Dropouts

Hi!
We're shooting a short film in HDV 25F and are using the Panasonic AY-DVM83PQ PRO tapes. We're using two brand new A1:s and in ten tapes we have had about ten dropouts or more, spread out on the two cameras. That's far more than acceptable.

Recommendations anyone? The AMQ tapes were out of stock. Anyone else had bad experiences with the 83 min tapes? Should we run cleaning tapes? The cameras have not been used extremely much after being bought and I think we never runned any cleaning tape in any of them.

Edit: dropouts while playing back the tapes, we haven't captured to computer yet.
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Major Player

I believe 83 min tapes are thinner, so more can be packed onto the take-up reels. I also believe they're more prone to dropouts due in part to their thinness.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Contributor

Most people stay away from the 83 minute tapes. What I would do is use the head cleaning tape on the cameras and go with a good quality 63 minute.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use JVC or Panasonic (never Sony tapes on non-Sony cameras) 60 minute tapes, so far, never have had a single drop-out......
Juni Zhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Major Player

We still had frame drops in both cameras after running cleaning tapes. About one drop per cassette.
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Wrangler

Were they at the same spot on the tape each time it was played?
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

In about 14 recordings on Panasonic 63PQ tapes I had one dropout in HDV with the Canon A1. I shot an event last week with a 83PQ tape and had about three dropouts in an hour.

I am not sure Panasonic still makes an 83MQ, although some vendors still have them in stock.
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I had this same problem with the 83-minute PQ tapes on my GL2. I didn't even try to use them on the XH-A1 as result.

Try the 63 minute PQ's. You should have better results. I still get the occasional dropout even with the AMQ's though. Just the nature of HDV I guess.
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:00 PM   #9
Major Player

Thats strange. I use the Panny 83 on a pd170 and in the last few months have experienced many dropouts. Before that... it was rare. I wonder if it is the tape? I just sent the cam out and to see what sony says.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Sometimes storage can be an issue. A friend was having dropouts using a SD camera. We cleaned the heads, but it didn't help. One day I noticed that after filling a tape, he was placing it in small storage bag, worn on his belt. He also carried his cell-phone in the same pouch. The ringtone speakers on some phones have powerful magnets, which can erase tape. Now he doesn't carry them together, and the dropout issue has stopped.
Jason Sovey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders