A Gentle Walk Trailer (Filmed with XL2) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A Gentle Walk Trailer (Filmed with XL2)

For anyone who is interested, The trailer for A Gentle Walk has just been released. The film is in its final stages of post, and I hope to have it done by the end of the year.

You can view the trailer at lostsummitfilms.com Blog Archive A Gentle Walk Trailer Released

Link to original posting: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl2...dia-nepal.html

Thanks again for all the help from this board getting my film off the ground.
Brandon Katcher
Brandon Katcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow! That is first quality broadcast work, Brandon.
Tell Valerie that the editing is great - nice timing with the drums.

Next time someone tells me that the XL2 doesn't render color well, I will direct them to your link.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful work! Very well done.

Can you give us specs, specs, specs :)
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply and the kind words.

As far as specs, what would you like to know?

Technically, I shot with the standard 20x, full manual. I shot in 24pA, and used an adjusted version of the documentary preset you can find on these forums. I had a circular polarizer on almost all the time (adjusted for each shot), and occasionally used a ND gradual for some of the sunrise/sunset shots.
I also outfitted the camera with a Dual Battery Holder, which I found really helped center the weight of the camera better on my shoulder and the lightweight tripod I brought. It also gave a little bit better life out of the 7 10-hour Ebay batteries I had with me, which just made it the 8 days with no electricity.
I used a Davis and Sanford Tripod, which was decent for $200, wouldn't be my first choice for most shooting, but it was light, which was a huge plus.
I think one of the most important pieces of gear for this shoot was the backpack. I used the Kata BP-502 backpack, which fit the camera with dual battery holder, 6 batteries, 10 tapes, wireless mic setup, shotgun mic, rain cover, chargers, cables, etc. The only things that weren't on my back were the tripod and the rest of the tapes. I attached my personal gear, water, clothes, food to the sides. It was actually very comfortable, on the same level as backpacking packs.

I have a list of the equipment I used on the shoot, at lostsummitfilms.com Equipment

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks,
Brandon Katcher
Brandon Katcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for highlighting the gear you used for you doc. I'm always interested in what tools people have used for their production (like everyone else here on this forum, otherwise we wouldn't be shooting :)

I was also very impressed with the way the footage looked. Any color grading in post?

Will have to check out the Davis-Sanford sticks; not for the XL2, but for the smaller HV30.

Good luck with the rest of your film, and look forward in seeing the whole thing someday!

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders