Phantom lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:19 AM   #1
New Boot

Phantom lights

I have recently been shooting some footage in quite dark settings, but with one single light source which was shown on screen. I notice each scene has 2 light spots, almost like fire flys moving around the light. One moves horizontally and one vertcally.
Does anyone know what causes these and what can be done to prevent it happening?
John Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Could be lens flare caused by reflections in and between the elements of your lens. To avoid it, try to keep the lamp out of shot and use a lens hood or barn doors on the camera to avoid the light from the lamp falling directly on the front element of the lens. Polarising filters can help but sometimes make it worse by adding another surface to reflect.

Belated welcome to dvinfo by the way. I am keeping a note of the Brits posting here (found 334 so far!)

Last edited by Colin McDonald; March 2nd, 2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: dvinfo Brits
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks. Yes, i think they must be internal relections of some sort. I am using a Matte box and flag. The light source in question is actually an "electric" candle, which has to be in shot to light the subject.
I am not sure if I have the lens on AF or MF during these shots. It could be the AF hunting i guess. I will set the shot up again and try it on MF.
John Walton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders