Need a buy a very small camera, which one to buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need a buy a very small camera, which one to buy?

Hi everyone,

I own a Canon XL2. I use it to do coverages for a community channel. I was interested in buying another very small video camera for my coverage's. The reason i need to get a very small camera is because most of the time people especially kids get confused when i take out my XL2 in front of them. You know what impression an XL2 gives out to people especially kids. I don't know anything about smaller version cameras. Please let me know of a camera small enough that it does the job and the quality should be good enough and in such a medium that it can be used for a TV channel.

Looking forward for your feedback.

Thanks
Ansab Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I may as well jump in first, though I figure everyone else is going to tell you the same thing:
Canon's HV-30.

If all you're after is a small camera, and you already have a Canon, that's probably the one to go with (and you'll be able to use it as a deck).

But here's a thought: instead of dropping $800 on another camera to please the kids, why don't you spend $5-$10 to doctor your existing set-up? Maybe put a sock puppet over your XL2's microphone, or ears up top and a mouth under the lens... Kids could treat it as a friend (though beware them wiping chocolatey fingers over the glass!) Also kids have really short attention spans.... just spending some time with them with your camera in hand before you start shooting might make you and it part of their "wallpaper"....
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Maybe I'm a little confused as well. Are you saying kids get intimidated seeing such a big professional camera or that they see a big "TV News Guy" camera and start waving and saying "Hi Mom!" while you're trying to get your shot?

As far as smaller, yes, the HV30 should do the job but you may need to add external mics, XLR adapters, and other things to suit your needs thus making the contraption intimidating again.
Edward Phillips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders