It's official: Canon XL2 announced - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 5th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #181
Trustee

Andre, if I understand you, that's along the lines I was thinking. Regardless of bit depth of the A/D, Assuming all CCD's and everything else is equal, the brightest white will be the biggest number on each A/D correct? This seems to make perfect sense to me as a programmer, but I'm not up with all the optical stuff.

Aaron
Old August 5th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #182
Warden

Andre, I'm not following what your saying. Are you saying 8 bit and 16 bit image files have the same dynamic range?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 03:37 AM   #183
Major Player

Yes Jeff. The non adaptive CCD dynamic range is the range between the highest signal level (limited by a certain amount of distortion- "white clip" in video)and the lowest signal level (limitted by a certain amount of unwanted vs wanted signals- noise, glare..in cams ). This figure is seldon higher than 45 db in consumer camcorders. Maybe there is a confusion about how well a scene's dynamic range (80db and more) is being "packed"into the limited camers range. This subjective compression
performance is like I wrote (knee processing, gamma, ..) bitdepth dependent.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 04:45 AM   #184
Warden

Even before processing the 16 bit file would contain more levels of gray (greater dynamic range) that are discernible to the eye than an 8 bit file.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 6th, 2004, 07:28 AM   #185
Major Player

Here http://www.fillfactory.com/htm/techn...df/oeepe99.pdf (PDF) is some info on CCD (and CMOS) dynamic range. IMEC is a Belgian micro electronics research center where I used to be a member of the scientific advisory commitee for several years.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #186
Warden

Thanks Andre, I'll look that over after classes this afternoon. You may be interested in Norman Koren site and his discussion on tonality and dynamic range.

Old August 6th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #187
Major Player

Interesting article. Although dynamic range is a well defined ratio, the " hidden dynamic range" approach is a good idea that kinf of explains what I wrote before: using high bitdepths allows manipulating (mainly expand) "hidden" parts in the analog signal.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders