PAL version announced in Europe ! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 13th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Simon, I assume you've also had the opportunity to shoot with the DVX100A. Would you say that there is a distinctive increase in picture quality with the XL2 when shooting in 16:9 ?
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Rob / Greg,

The 16:9 / 25p knobs are very positive. Will they loosen with wear? Who knows.

I haven'y had a chance to try a-d. But will give it a go tommorow (hopefully).

As for the white balance I had no troubles, we were in a controlled environment shooting tungsten. All shots were manually whitebalanced and the editor (who stayed up till 3am last night) didn't shout at me today. We were checking shots on 9" and 20" Sony monitors and all looked great.

I know what you mean about the XL1, I'll try the XL2 at work in a room light by sodium - even DVW700's used to have problems with that!

Cheers!

Simon.
Simon Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #18
Wrangler

Hi Simon,

Glad to have a representative from Optex. I've passed your stands a couple of times at the Video Forum and Production Show.
Can't wait for the video...

Rob, I was thinking about theratrical release with 24FPS.

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi Steven,

I have "fiddled" with the DVX100, haven't shot in anger with it and wouldn't like to make any comparisons as I don't think I am qualified.

I will say Canon have taken the XL2 to a new level, the quality compared to other DV is something else.

Cheers!

Simon.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Ed,

You may well have seen me at shows, I'm the young good looking member of the team ;o)

I do work for OpTex but I also own and operate myself, I currently have an XL1, a dirt cheap Samsung upright handheld type DV camera and edit on FCP HD laptop and desktop.

I really don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm here peddling my wares, that annoys me and is not something I want to do. Hence I'm not shouting OpTex all the time.

Its a terrible thing working somewhere that your interests lay, so much great kit that I can't afford!

As for the video this will come shortly after some paperwork has been completed with the pr company. I have some other test footage that I will stick online this week, this was shot on a NTSC XL2 and converted to PAL - stills looks great.

Cheers!

Simon.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #21
Trustee

Too bad the PAL version won't support 24p. If it did all the filmmakers would jump on it.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #22
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Moore : Too bad the PAL version won't support 24p. If it did all the filmmakers would jump on it. -->>>

24p and 25p are practically the same visually, and transferring it to 35mm is a non-issue.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:01 PM   #23
Regular Crew

What exactly were you shooting, Simon?
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #24
Major Player

Simon,
I dont know if its just me being stupid, but how do I play your 50mb .txt file? :S
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #25
Regular Crew

change .txt to .mov
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #26
Major Player

Thnx :D
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #27
Trustee

"24p and 25p are practically the same visually, "

Visually yes, but not aurally. You have to speed up all sound by 4% which is quite noticeable to a good ear. Or you have to use pitch shifting with time duration preserved which generates other nasty noise effects.

Anyway more resolution, even for DVD, is always better. I would shoot at the 576 lines and downrez to 480 and guaranteed would get a better picture.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:11 AM   #28
Tourist

24p doesn't fit in the PAL DV specs. PAL uses a lower framerate than NTSC (25p/50i vs 30p/60i), so it can have a higher resolution in the same bitrate. 24p in DV uses pulldown, wich is actually bad usage of the bitrate, since it has the same (NTSC) resolution but a lower framerate. It writes some fields double to tape.

If you want 24p on a PAL camera, you would need a pulldown system that doubles every 24th frame. This would be total different from the NTSC system, wich doubles every 2nd or 3rd frame. You need special software to edit the footage, wich costs a great amount of money to develop, and since people in PAL countries (like me) are happy with 25p, almost nobody will buy it.

Anyway, I agree, more resolution is always better, and 24p PAL pulldown (if it existed) would throw away less information than 24p NTSC pulldown. I guess the market isn't big enough...
Andreas van Neerbos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders