DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Batteries for XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28915-batteries-xl2.html)

Pete Bauer May 24th, 2005 09:53 AM

Weren't there some 3rd party cheap-o cell phone batteries that actually did cause problems...fires, or battery explosions that injured people? Hence the big push to use only name-brand batteries, at least for cell phones.

I also do not recall ever hearing such problems related to video cameras, but maybe that is part of the reason (excuse?) manufacturers have for recommending only their own batteries? From their point of view, why should the camera company have to spend its warranty department dollars if someone else's battery broke the camera?

That said, I agree with David that at least the major, known battery companies seem to put out good, problem-free products (but read your camera warranty before deciding on 3rd party stuff!). I've used Lenmar batteries on a number of my consumer electronic devices without the slightest problems -- often a higher capacity for less price than OEM. But I'd be reluctant to do so if I knew that it would void my warranty.

John S. Warrick May 24th, 2005 12:12 PM

Pete, you're absolutetly right about the cell phones:

Worldwide a number of cells exploded in 2003, a great many of them Nokia phones. According to Nokia, third-party or counterfeit batteries were to blame: in each and every exploding phone case it investigated, the battery in question proved not to be original to the unit and not to have included industry-standard safety measures. It also found the vast majority of short circuits that led to these explosions were caused by the units' having undergone traumatic events (such as being dropped) which jeopardized the integrity of poorly-manufactured batteries.

I have used a Power 2000 for both my XL1 and now my XL2 and I have had no problems. Then again I haven't been dropping my camera or battery on the ground either. :-)

David Lach May 24th, 2005 12:23 PM

Warranty issues and reputation should indeed be the only thing holding you back from a specific 3rd party vendor.

An other way to insure you're not using a piece of junk to power your $5000 camera is to buy from reputable sellers. Stores like B&H or ZGC will stand behind their products and not offer some cheap junk just to make a few more bucks in profit. That's a proven selection method to avoid lemon companies.

And of course, there's the user reviews. I've taken a habit to always google a few reviews on any new gear I buy, just to double check and make sure there is no known problems with the brand I'm considering.

Lutz Marini June 2nd, 2005 05:29 AM

Battery belt for XL2 and on-camera light?newbie cry for help..

I have a XL2 but without any light until now.I am planning to buy a Cosmolight rubino powered from a operator battery belt but I am confused with the connections:how do I connect the XL2 to the battery belt?or do you know a recommended battery belt for the XL2 and a on-camera light?

Rob Lohman June 3rd, 2005 02:43 AM

I believe most people just invest in a couple of high capacity batteries for
the XL2 (you can buy a cheaper brand like Lenmar) where you will get 1 - 2
hours of recording time at least.

There is also a dual battery holder for the Canon that allows you to mount
two such camera's on the camera (and provides a bit of weight at the back
to better balance the camera out) and I believe you can switch one battery
on the fly (leaving the other operating the camera), but I COULD be wrong
on that!!!

Mark Sasahara June 3rd, 2005 09:36 PM

I don't know anything about the battery belt, but there may only be one connection on the belt. This may be for your light. The XL2 needs 7.2V, so whatever you plug into it, had better be transformed down to that voltage. Your battery belt may be a higher wattage, so be sure to read the instructions before plugging in.

There's the Canon Dual Battery holder and lots of 7.2V batteries. Or you can use Anton Bauer 14V batteries. They make an adapter that goes on the back of the XL2, so it powers the camera and has a "Power Tap" which is an additional power socket that will power any 12V light or other accessory. It is powered by Anton Bauer batteries. The adapter steps the voltage down to 7.2V for the XL2.

Gary Barr June 9th, 2005 01:44 AM

Hi Lutz,

I use the Pag C6 light which comes with a separate battery and you can sling over your shoulder. I only really use it for emergencies and things like a wedding first dance or messages to camera and it's great, a real lifesaver. The C6 also just slips onto the hotshoe on your XL2.

Good luck.

Tracy Graziano June 10th, 2005 05:43 PM

eco charge batteries for the XL2?

Hello all!
I have eco charge batteries for my Tascam DAT machine (6 hours of juice). They have 4 pin XLR connectors on them. Is there a way to connect them to and use them with the XL2? What connectors / cables do I need?

Thanks so much!
Tracy Graziano

Rob Lohman June 12th, 2005 07:08 AM

The XL2 will need about 7.2 volts (if I remember correctly). I doubt your
setup will power the XL2 for very long. Compare the descriptions on the
batteries. The volts and amperes are what matters.

Tracy Graziano June 13th, 2005 08:48 AM

batteries and camera jacket

Thanks Rob. The batteries are:
Power 12 Volt, 7.2 A/h

I was just thinking that I aleady own these batteries and that they would be nice because I could keep them in my coat when shooting in really cold weather. (I film wildlife.)

Speaking of cold weather, does anyone know of a XL2 jacket that works ok? I've sown my own camo-cover for the camera, so maybe I could just make something that's insulated with pockets for those little hand warmer packets? What does everyone think?

I'm not an electrician, so if someone wants to educate me as to why these batteries wouldn't work, I'm all ears.

Suggestions for connections would be very helpful.

Rob Lohman June 14th, 2005 03:06 AM

Since I don't have an XL1S anymore or an XL2 for that matter I don't know
what amps and volts those batteries want. Check those as well. You will
definitely need a converter that goes from 12v to 7.2v (if I remember correctly).

The higher the amps the better (the longer it will last). I believe a Lenmar
battery I once bought for my XL1S was in the range of 4200 mA, or 4.2 A

Dharma Singh September 11th, 2005 07:45 AM

Heavy Duty Batteries for XL 2

I am looking for reviews on Vidpro Canon BP535 8 Hour Lithium Ion Battery before i buy one. And also where can i get the best bargain for 1.6 X extender for my XL 2 Pal?
Thanks

Justine Haupt November 14th, 2005 05:41 PM

Battery question

I'm sure this has been answered many times in all the Canon forums, but the search feature isn't working and need I need to know this asap.

The list price on the batteries ($100?) is a little steep and I wanted to know if there was any reason I shouldn't use something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-BP-945-941...QQcmdZViewItem

Or any of those under $100 ebay batteries, for that matter.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the post.

Mike Hardcastle November 14th, 2005 06:33 PM

I've had no problems with non-canon batteries on my XL2/GL2, I have used 4 X 6000mah BP945 batts for over 2 years with no issues.

Justine Haupt November 14th, 2005 10:15 PM

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!