DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Batteries for XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28915-batteries-xl2.html)

Zeke Piper December 9th, 2005 09:30 PM

Xl2 new battery charging issue

I just bought a "techCell"(7.2 5500mAh) version of the canon battery for an xl2 because it was a third of the price, when the charger reads full i put it on the camera and it only reads half way and if I heard right a Li-ion battery doesnt have memory issues so is this thing just bunk or what ?

Miguel Lombana December 10th, 2005 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke Piper
I just bought a "techCell"(7.2 5500mAh) version of the canon battery for an xl2 because it was a third of the price, when the charger reads full i put it on the camera and it only reads half way and if I heard right a Li-ion battery doesnt have memory issues so is this thing just bunk or what ?

Welcome to the battery conundrum. You are correct, Li-Ion batteries do not suffer memory effect like their counterparts however they do require more care than other batteries. One thing that you need to know is that battery manufacturers purchase cells on the market to create their end product. The characteristics of the individual cells that go into the package vary widely. A 'cheap' battery for your camera may be just that on the inside. The vendor may have purchased cheap cells that may not meet the spec of a more expensive battery.

I'm an engineer for Motorola, in the last year, my customer complained about battery issues, we got a very formal education on what it takes to put together a quality battery pack for our radios. I was amazed at the vast differences in a batch of cells made by the same manufacturer much less vendor to vendor. One company that makes batteries for us has multiple levels of quality for the same size cell and they range in price accordingly. A cheap cell that tests well might get you close to the output that you want but a more expensive battery cell was one that tested better and was at or above the required output.

Ok back to your issue, below I have copied some basic battery information from batteryuniverse.com which deals with the care of a cell pack for best and optimal use. If after you follow some of the basics described below and the pack is still not up to par, send it back, get a credit and get a new battery pack. BTW, I've been gettng cells from a company called The Battery Bank in Orlando. They are on the web and offer the better quality 3rd party cells such as PowerCell2000 which many have claimed and I will attest to be a great cell at a great price.

Hope this helps you a little. ML

----------

Battery Do's:

Fully charge/discharge battery up to 4 cycles before achieving full capacity of a new battery

Fully discharge and then fully charge the battery every three to four weeks to keep maximize the cycle life.

Remove from the device and stored in a cool, dry, clean place if the battery will not be in use for a month or longer,

Recharge the battery after a storage period, usually if it has been sitting for more than three weeks.

Ensure maximum performance of the battery by optimizing the device's power management features. Refer to the manual for further instructions.

Battery Don'ts:

Do not short-circuit. A short-circuit may cause severe damage to the battery.

Do not drop, hit or otherwise abuse the battery as this may result in the exposure of the cell contents, which are corrosive.

Do not expose the battery to moisture or rain.

Keep battery away from fire or other sources of extreme heat. Do not incinerate. Exposure of battery to extreme heat may result in an explosion.

My new battery isn't charging. Is it defective?

Usually NO. New batteries come in a discharged condition and must be fully charged before use. It is recommended that you fully charge and discharge the new battery two to four times to allow it to reach its maximum rated capacity

It is generally recommend an overnight charge (approximately twelve hours). It is normal for a battery to become warm to the touch during charging and discharging.

When charging the battery for the first time, the device may indicate that charging is complete after just 10 or 15 minutes. This is a normal with rechargeable batteries. New batteries are hard for the device to charge; they have never been fully charged and not “broken in.” Sometimes the device's charger will stop charging a new battery before it is fully charged. If this happens, remove the battery from the device and then reinsert it. The charge cycle should begin again. This may happen several times during the first battery charge. Don't worry; it's perfectly normal.

How can I maximize the performance of my battery?

There are several steps you can take to help you get maximum performance from your battery:

Prevent the Memory Effect - Keep the battery healthy by fully charging and then fully discharging it at least once every two to three weeks. Exceptions to the rule are Li-Ion batteries which do not suffer from the memory effect.

Keep the Batteries Clean - It's a good idea to clean dirty battery contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol. This helps maintain a good connection between the battery and the portable device.

Exercise the Battery - Do not leave the battery dormant for long periods of time. We recommend using the battery at least once every two to three weeks. If a battery has not been used for a long period of time, perform the new battery procedure described above.

Battery Storage - If you don't plan on using the battery for a month or more, store it in a clean, dry, cool place away from heat and metal objects. NiCad, NiMH and Li-Ion batteries will self-discharge during storage; remember to recharge the batteries before use.

Sealed Lead Acid - (SLA) batteries must be kept at full charge during storage. This is usually achieved by using special trickle chargers. If you do not have a trickle charger, do not attempt to store SLA batteries for more than three months.

Richard Burleson April 10th, 2006 06:06 PM

XL2 Battery mount

We have been using XL1s for the last 8 or 9 years at our church. One of the problems we have had over the years was the contacts where the battery or ac adapter mounts. We are updating our cameras and are thinking of buying XL2s. Were there any improvements made for the battery adapter? Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know a solution? I was wondering how the Anton Bauer batteries mount?

Thanks for any info.

Dave Perry April 11th, 2006 05:14 AM

The Anton Bauer batteries mount to the back of the XL2's accessory mount. Thy use the same connection as the standard XL batteries though.

Ruben Mendez April 25th, 2006 04:30 AM

Other battery opptions for the Gold Mount stlye

Is there an off brand name alternative (yet uses same cells) to the AB dionic 90 batteries. Who actually makes the batteries for AB? I found this site http://www.batteries4broadcast.com, they sell a AB equivilent pack (C2-4060P) for 725.00, vs 1397.00 for the AB brand on B&H. Has anyone bought from this place? Is there a place that sells recelled AB dionic 90 batteries? Or is it better to buy them brand new? I would like to purchase something like the dionic 90 but am trying to pay less. I am planning to power everything off the camera battery (light, shotgun, firestorm)
thanks
ruben

Greg Boston April 25th, 2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruben Mendez
Is there an off brand name alternative (yet uses same cells) to the AB dionic 90 batteries. Who actually makes the batteries for AB? I found this site http://www.batteries4broadcast.com, they sell a AB equivilent pack (C2-4060P) for 725.00, vs 1397.00 for the AB brand on B&H. Has anyone bought from this place? Is there a place that sells recelled AB dionic 90 batteries? Or is it better to buy them brand new? I would like to purchase something like the dionic 90 but am trying to pay less. I am planning to power everything off the camera battery (light, shotgun, firestorm)
thanks
ruben

Several companies make A/B and V-Mount style batteries. You can go to our site sponsors such as Varizoom and Tapeworks Texas for more info and to purchase.

-gb-

Marc Gaudet June 21st, 2006 11:48 AM

how good is the BP-930 Battery Pack for xl-2

i was looking at b&h's xl-2 cam there selling and for like an extra grand or so you can get an anton power pack or for a grand less you can get the standard BP-930 Battery Pack what is you take on this? and how long deos both batery work?

Jarrod Whaley June 21st, 2006 12:52 PM

I can't speak for those schmancy anton bauer setups, but I can tell you that I've had no problems with regular old Li-ion batteries.

The BP-930 is fine. It just doesn't last that long (per individual charge). I'd recommend picking up a couple of cheap knock-off BP-945's on Ebay. The last I looked, they can be had for under $20. They're generic OEM-type things, but I've been using them for a long time with no issues whatsoever.

Marc Gaudet June 21st, 2006 01:01 PM

yeah true i agree why spend the big bucks when you can buy more cheap priced ones that will achieve the same does the BP-930 Battery Pack last at least 200 minutes?

Jarrod Whaley June 21st, 2006 01:05 PM

It depends on the shooting conditions. You might get 90 min. out of the stock battery, but an hour is more likely. I really do recommend those cheap 945's. It really sucks to run out of battery power in the middle of a shoot.

Tony Davies-Patrick June 21st, 2006 02:59 PM

I have a bunch of normal size batteries (that I use most with the Canon XL on-camera light) and a bunch of heavy duty batteries (all non-Canon bought cheap from Ebay) that work well for most of my needs.

I also have an extra heavy duty special XL2 battery pack belt that plugs directly into the XL2 and allows constant filming for many hours without recharging.

Ash Greyson June 21st, 2006 09:35 PM

I have 4 extended batteries and never have needed anything else, unless you are going to be with no electricity for days on end... the AB battery kit is really overkill.

ash =o)

Tony Davies-Patrick June 22nd, 2006 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
... with no electricity for days on end...
ash =o)

That is one of the main reasons why I take the Canon XL1/2/H1 battery belt (that provides 5-8 hours of constant power). For a lot of my filming, I'm a long way from a car or powerpoint for extended periods.

Greg Boston June 22nd, 2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I have 4 extended batteries and never have needed anything else, unless you are going to be with no electricity for days on end... the AB battery kit is really overkill.

ash =o)

Unless you just like to have a nose heavy camera on your shoulder. (grin)

That's the main reason I went with it, and for future migration.

The future arrived a few weeks ago when UPS delivered my Sony F350. With an inexensive adapter, those batteries and charger are now powering the new camera. Not an option with the Canon style batteries.

-gb-

Andrew Todd June 22nd, 2006 07:48 AM

i have a couple canon brand batteries.. and some cheap no-name brands off ebay. I shot a short in 3 days using two xl1s last month. the canon batteries needed recharging after about 2 hours of shooting off and on. The no-name lasted the whole day..from sunrise to sunset. Both cams were running the same ammount of time and we had the same results all 3 days. I bought these cheap batteries when i had my gl1 and they last forever!