Poll: Will you buy the XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 13th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Poll: Will you buy the XL2?

Although the XL2 looks like a really nice camera, I'm sorry to say that I won't be making a purchase this time. Without it being an HD camera, I feel that there is not enough of a difference between it and the previous model to justify the cost of upgrading. If I had the original XL1, not the XL1s, then I would probably consider it. The added resolution is nice, but I wonder just how much better the image will look in a side by side comparison, especially in standard 4:3 mode. If it's a night and day difference, which I doubt it will be, then I may have to break the bank...

I'm curious as to how many current XL1/XL1s owners plan to purchase the XL2.
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #2
Major Player

I think XL2 is not for event videography like wedding, 5.5 lux, not even close to PD150. I won't exchange my DSR250.
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #3
Wrangler

Well I'm not in the XL2s target market, but I'm hoping the new features/additions trickle down to the lower end.

I'd buy a GL3 with many of those features. Especially the hi-res 16:9 + 30p, that'd be a keeper.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, the better image quality and the 24p and 30p are nice. I like the phantom power as well. It has a lot of nice new additions.

Pending output images and such, I will probably purchase one, but not anytime soon. Maybe within 6 months if it makes a beautiful 16x9 24p image.
Scott Balkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rick,
The differences between the XL1 and the XL2 represent far more that a little more resolution and a few tweaks. The XL2 is a fundamentally different product aimed at a different market segment than the XL1's target from the late 1990's. The difference is enormous.

Certainly, you know best what your work calls for. But unless you're dead-set on getting a HD camera (in which case, why aren't you already using one?) I think it's awfully early to be so resolute on the XL2, either for or against.

But out of curiosity if your position is firm why are you encouraging a poll?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #6
Trustee

As an indie filmaker using the XL1, I will definitelly consider the XL2, althrough I will wait for some users reviews and production maturation (a few months). According to the specs, the features set definetely worth the price, and the backward compatibility with the majority of the XL1 accessories and lenses make it even more attracting. I don't care about the missing of HD format. Here in Canada, there is no HD broadcasting I am aware of, and the HDTV sets are so rare! The true 16X9 mode, true progressive, added resolution, phantom power, full range of adjustements on the picture, and backward compatibility with the excellent Canon manual lenses, it's way over my expectations!
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #7
Trustee

I will need more information before I decide. I don't like Sony cameras so they are out, the only one that I would consider is the DVX100 which I'm still looking at. I currently have an XM2

So my reasoning so far would be

I want built in XLR - I can get this from DVX though and it has them next to the mic holder IIRC which is better for on cam mics, but the back ones on the XL2 would suit me more for off cam micing.

I would like barrel markings - DVX has them Canon manual lens would (Not sure if the manual lens is as good as the DVX's though)

A "pro" style look is important - I shoot a reasonably amount of out in the field news style stuff where there is a risk of arrest if I look like an activist just filming a demo. Looking the part with a good looking camera would definately help that.

16:9 - Not important but I might not be knowing what I'm missing here.

Interchangeable lenses - Unlikely I'll need that

Price - DVX wins hands down

LCD - Puss on the Xl2 (2") compared to DVX

BNC for video out sounds like a nice idea. I've never used a camera like that but I've always hated the crappy video out plugs.

So from that I'd almost convince myself the DVX is the way to go, but I don't like the look of it. The proof will be in the pudding. Roll on footage.

I really want to see the specs on the audio for the Xl2. That could be a clincher for me as I don't want to shoot Double System if I can afford it but want good quality audio.

Aaron
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
I would like barrel markings - DVX has them Canon manual lens would (Not sure if the manual lens is as good as the DVX's though)
Personnally, I am always amazed by the quality and performances of my 14X manual and I always thought that it was one of the best lenses available in the prosummer market segment (removable or fixed).

But I would like to have some users input on that. I beleive that Ken own both the DVX and the Xl manual lens, perhaps you could compare them?
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ken,

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm not dogging the XL2. I think it's a fantastic camera, the best thing in it's class. I would be lining up to get one, _If_ I didn't already own an XL1s. Of course there are plently of upgraded features over the XL1s, but in _my_ case, not enough to justify the cost. That's why I was asking other XL1 users their position on purchasing the XL2 -- to see someone else's point of view...and maybe persuade me to upgrade! (Yes, deep down inside I want to buy one. But for $5000, I can wait a year or so for an HD model).

Why I don't already have an HD camera? Well, my day job doesn't call for one yet. But I would very much like to use the format for my private projects. Plus, wouldn't it be nice to have all the footage I take from now on in high-resolution format so when the day comes that HDTV is the mainstream I won't have to reshoot? Of course, I know that this will cost me time converting the footage if I want to show it on conventional systems. Anyway, If Sony or Panny come out with a 3 CCD HD cam this year for under $6000 I will definitely consider buying it.
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:28 PM   #10
Trustee

Regarding all this HDV hype, can someone point me to some good pages on the subject as I guess I need to learn more about it. To me it sounds like a crock of marketting hype! MPEG2 compressed video. Worse than DV compression right? A pain in the arse to edit right? WRONG?

Aaron
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:41 PM   #11

<<<-- Originally posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald : I beleive that Ken own both the DVX and the Xl manual lens, perhaps you could compare them? -->>>

Chris sometimes ribs me by saying that I have "a barn load of cameras". <g>

I used to own the 14x manual lens. To some degree I miss it. It was, to my aging eyes, the sharpest lens Canon made for the XL platform. If you know exactly what you're trying to accomplish and have the time / skill to manually set your shot up that lens was (is) like a surgical scalpel.

The 16x Manual Servo is not quite as sharp as the 14x but, frankly, you'd only notice the difference on certain types of shots.

To a great degree the DVX100A's (and 100's) "Leica" lens is not fairly comparable to any of the individual XL lenses. It's also hard to make any accurate direct comparison with the XL's, since the issue of different camera resolutions and imaging options mucks-up the picture. But if I normalize the platform differences purely for the sake of aesthetic observation I would say that the DVX100A's lens at its widest setting is a bit sharper than the 3x Wide lens at a comparable focal length for the XL1. (Wide shots, in general, suffer a bit on DV.) At an intermediate focal length (close to normal) I'd say that the DVX is very close to the 16x Manual Servo, with perhaps a slight edge to the DVX lens. At 10x I think that the 16x Manual Servo might look just a tad better than the DVX at roughly that same spot.

But, again, this is purely subjective musing on my part. I've never spent time (or worry) trying to objectively compare the lenses on the two cameras. However, direct comparisons of the lenses when mounted on the XL2 will be far more camera-normalized.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old July 13th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #12
Trustee

Thanks a lot Ken, and you will most likely add another camera to your collection in August, no?
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #13

Aaron,
HDV is, fundamentally, a consumer/prosumer-oriented high definition recording format. That is, its goal is to deliver broad-market HD-like products at prices within Visa and Mastercard limits.

HDV is really not even truly off the ground yet so it's a bit early to judge this, too. Stay tuned to this channel, as we'll be featuring much more on this subject in the near future.

Old July 14th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #14

<<<-- Originally posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald : Thanks a lot Ken, and you will most likely add another camera to your collection in August, no? -->>>

Probably not in August. Confidentially <g> I've been spending most of my time with still photography lately and just got a Canon 1D Mark II (a truly remarkable camera) and a few additional lenses. This time I think I'll let the early-adopters shake the XL2 down for a while. Meanwhile, I've a DVX100 to sell here and still have my DVX100A to satisfy my 24P/Cinegamma/knee-tweak cravings for a while. Plus, like Rob, I still really love my XL1S -- shortcomings and all.

Old July 14th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #15
ChorizoSmells

Yo Rob, I think people are confusing us again, calling you Rik:-)

I will be trying to get some hands on time with the XL-2 once they have them in stores here, I've used the crap out of my XL-1 and it's really starting to show it's age, I'm pretty sure that if I can save the money up, I will get one. At least that's how I feel right now, I still have to see how much of a difference the image is over my XL-1.

At least my wife didn't freak out when I told her I would buy one if I had the money, so maybe that's a good sign. She knows that eventually I will need a new camera, I've tried out the DVX-100 a little and it just doesn't feel right in my hands, although it does take great video.

I gotta pull all my strings at the store where I get all my gear and see what kind of deal they can give me. If I had some kids, I would try to sell them!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders