XL2 Low Light Capability - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:27 PM   #46
New Boot

Greg-
Excellent points! As well, I'll take a look at the link you recommended.

Thanks!
Joe
Joe Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #47
Tourist

Low light performance question...

Hello everyone!
I've seen some beautiful videos done with the XL2 on this post, I'm a wedding videographer and I been doing some research for a new camera, my candidates? sony PD170 for the low light performance and the beautiful XL2 for almost everything but Low light performance I haven't heard about it and almost no one comments about it, is it that bad?
Most of a wedding is done indoors so I need good light capabilities and audio, is the XL2 good for this kind of jobs?
Would I need a stronger light for indoors, if I use the XL2?
Believe me what stops me from buying the sony 170 it's that doesn't convience costumers, they go; this little camera?
Please guys say some thing about the XL2, convince me.
Thank you.

PS. there is no better website than this!
Gerry Nava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #48
Inner Circle

like i say to all my clients, its not what u use but how u use it.. ive seen footage shot on a dsr570 which looks like garbage, then i see stuff shot with a vx2000 that puts it to shame..
Hell i use 2 DVX100's which have been used in numerous "high end" productions, like Blade, Oprah, MTV... if poeple have their doubts about "small cameras" i jsut show them footage taken with it.. that usually shuts them up..

Personally, at this point in time, i wouldnt go for either.. the Sonys are ok, but they have that particular look that doesnt hide the fact that its a Sony.. i dont know what it is.. call it a flavour..

the XL2.. well for the investment and as "look" seems to be a concern for you.. id say hang back fo the JVC hdv unit..
it wil be more expensive, but the option of running ENG lenses, HDV 720p @ 24fps will futureproof the investment for at least another 5 yrs..

oops ..
to answer ur question.. id say wait.. but if you HAD to buy an SD camera, id say go the XL2 simply becuase it offers a native 16:9 and progressive scan.. on top of that it offers a complete configuration which covers most aspects and elements for any particularly look.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #49
Trustee

Hi Gerry. I have a VX2000 and an XL2. Yes the low light performance of the XL2 is quite poor compared to the Sony. If you are prepared to spend a lot of time in post you can still get good results with the XL2 in low light (up to a point) but if you are doing wedding videos as a business I doubt you will have the time to do that (but of course it's your call).

Peter's point about waiting for a better camera with the new formats coming out is very true. If you are not really in a hurry you should consider waiting for a while. But if you need good low light performance right now, I would recommend that you at least try out the Sony. A bit of scepticism initially from your customers is better than a lot of disappointment when they see the results!

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #50
Tourist

Richard, Peter thank you for your suggestions they are excellent your words lead to choosing the XL2 since I usually spent a lot of time on post ( it must be perfect), as you said results must be the ones that impress not the apparence of the camera but in this case the XL2 it's good looking one.

What would you guys suggest, I do or get to compensate for the low light capability of the XL2?
Thank you once againg.
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #51
Inner Circle

in all honesty, i woul dwait for the new JVC HD 1.3 ccd unit as i too will offer removable lenses, this time however, your looking at full size 1/2' bayonet ENG lenses, which in my opinion, is far more flexible than the canon range, as u can also get a 2/3 adapter for this new unit as well..

this is the cam i been waiting for... i was going to go for the Pana with eh P2 system, but to tell u the truth i dont think the wedding market is ready for dvcprohd50...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #52
Trustee

Gerry,
I have an xl2, and need to shoot some stuff in low light ( following a local politician-changing light situations). I went with the Frezzi 50 watt "mini fill"( with dimmer) on camera light, and the softbox 11 for the minifill. The whole business with the mounting stud is around $500. This way you get the best of both worlds-XL2 image and low light capability.
Then you need battery power. The cheapest is the battery belt, but I didn't like having my pants dragged down "hip-hop" style,
so I went with the Anton bauer dionic 90. You also need the "power tap" plate, which attaches to the XL2 back plate).
I'm reallt satisfied ith the set-up ( although it was expensive).
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #53
Contributor

Gerry, you might consider renting the camera on a project by project basis, thus you can try the XL2, the PD170 and large sensor cams until the new JVC comes along, and then make the choice. No one knows yet about the JVC's sensitivity. Being "HD", it might end up being less sensitive that the XL2, in leage with the FX1/Z1... similar questions can be raised about the upcoming prosumer HD pannys...

Of course owning a camera gives you the possibility of fine-tuning it to your needs... still, we are so close to NAB. If I were you I'd wait.
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #54
Regular Crew

hey gerry, just noticed your strange family name? From what country are you from?
Arlie Nava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #55
Tourist

HD is very very interesting and I only wish I had more time and wait for the NAB, but do I need to buy additional stuff to go HD? doesn't the client must have HD equipment too and I believe FC doesn't support HD yet.
Anyway, my name might sound familiar to you, Arlie but not I'm not from the philipines, Nava it's a very common name in Mexico and Central America as well.
Thank you.
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #56
Major Player

New to video and lots of q's

We currently do event photography and i am planning on adding video to it as well. We do all kinds of events (mostly sporting events) and especially lots of indoor low light events such as ice skating.

So far my video skills have been to use consumer camcorders pretty much on auto everything but from the still photography side i obviously understand shutterspeeds, aperture, gain and all the good and bad things about cameras and capturing light in general.

I am thinking about getting a Canon XL2 but this may change to some other camera. The XL2 marks pretty much the top of the price range though

One of the first things i am trying to find out is how the low light capabilities compare to what i am used to dealing with.

When we shoot stills we shoot generally at 1/400, ISO 1600 at F2.8 or therabouts. Sometimes at F1.8 and if we are lucky at ISO 1250.

Now in still photography obviously you need these shutterspeeds to stop action which is different with video.

Now my questions

What settings would you use to shoot for example ice skating in terms of aperture and shutter speed.

Anyone have any idea what the 0 gain on the XL2 compares to in terms of ISO of a still camera ?

Thanks in advance
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Although an XL2 will give you much better picture quality (more resolution, widescreen, cinegamma,....) and is (maybe, this is very subjective offcourse) a better cam as a whole, if low light is your greatest concern, get a Sony VX2100 or a Sony PD170 (or is it 150?).

They are the cams that have the best low light capability (well, that's what I always read here, so I'm pretty sure)

Good luck.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #58
Inner Circle

I second the Sony PD170. Although the Canon is a great cam the PD is better in a low light situation, this coming from someone that uses Sonys but has many friends in the business that use the Canons.

As for shutter speed and aperture, I can only suggest that whatever camera you decide on, use the fastest shutter speed with the smallest aperture you can. Of course depending on where you are shooting from in the arena AND the amount of lighting you might want to forego aperture for shutter.

Perhaps the best way to go at first would be to set the shutter to say 1/250 or 1/500 and let the auto aperture handle that aspect until you are comfortable. With the Sony, you can set the auto aperture punch the IRIIS button to see wht the setting is and then go back to auto. Don't forget to WHITE BALANCE. As for gain, I prefer ZERO myself but will go as high as 12db if the situation calls for it. Picks up about 1 stop in my VERY unscientific tests but certainly does pick up the grain. I use that very sparingly.
HTH
Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #59
Major Player

Low light question

Hi there

i am thinking about getting an XL2 but have a few questions regarding low light shooting. I posted this in the general board but am not sure if i get it answered there as it is XL2 specific

I am wondering how the XL2 compares to the light levels i would need to shoot in

With a still camera that would be about 1/320 at ISO 1600 and F2.8

First my question is what shutter speed would be used on a video camera to shoot sports (in this case ice skating) and second what would the 0 gain level on an XL2 compare to in terms of ISO on a still camera. And then what gain level would i need to shoot in the setting mentioned above

Thanks
Old March 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #60
Obstreperous Rex

<< I posted this in the general board but am not sure if i get it answered there as it is XL2 specific >>

Folks, please do not cross-post!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders