XL2 Low Light Capability - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 27th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #61
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Cross-posted here: please direct all responses to this thread.

Folks, please do not cross-post! -->>>

Actually the reason for this post is because part of the original post was specific to the XL2 (belongs here) but the other part was not (does not belong here) so really part of it belongs here which i corrected with this post.
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #62
Obstreperous Rex

You've had some good responses to your first thread, so now the two have been merged together for consolidation.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:09 PM   #63
New Boot

24p low light

Hi everyone. First and foremost, I would like for you to forgive me if there is already a thread concerning a similar topic, and if so, would you please direct me to it? Anyway, I recently purchased a new XL2 and am working on a 24p project that requires some low light scenes, specifically, being outdoors at night time. I was wondering if any of you had some settings and/or lighting suggestions to keep a good picture. And by good picture, i mean a "filmic look." If there are no reasonable solutions, is switching to 30p or 60i a worthy consideration? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jordan Walz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:21 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Switching to 60i will help. Uping the gain will also help. If you want the film look, you will want to stay in 24P. If you want to get the best quality, don't boost the gain too much. It all depends where you will be shooting. If you're shooting under a street light, it might not be that bad. If you're shooting where there isn't much ambient light, it will be difficult to get a good image without lighting the set. The best thing to do is get a set of battery pack operated lights to illuminate the subject if it's a run and gun shoot. Trust me, it's better than nothing. Good luck.
Andrew Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:12 AM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Oh
Switching to 60i will help.
I have to disagree with this. I find that there is not a significant increase in light sensitivity in 60i over 24P mode....maybe non at all. I had the DVX100 for 2 years prior to the XL2 and it did improve majorly in the 601 mode. Someone said once that was because it averaged interlace lines together which made it brighter and more sensitive. I don't know about all of the technical mumbo jumbo there but I can tell you that I have never had to switch to 601 to increase light on the XL2. So far it get the same exposure in 24P. FWIW.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:48 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Rent the proper gear and light for night. You'll never get a solid picture without the right lighting. Just b/c you use lights doesn't mean it can't look like night.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:36 PM   #67
Regular Crew

I would think that 60i would actually lower the exposure because of the faster shudder speeds as opposed to 24p, but im only speaking from conjecture, since i havnt had the opportunity to shoot in extremely low light situations with my XL2 yet.

]:-( --->

http://geocities.com/anarchist_lb
Jon Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:44 PM   #68
New Boot

So it looks like my best option would be to rent out some decent lighting equipment. Thanks for the help guys.
Jordan Walz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM   #69
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Laing
I would think that 60i would actually lower the exposure because of the faster shudder speeds as opposed to 24p, but im only speaking from conjecture, since i havnt had the opportunity to shoot in extremely low light situations with my XL2 yet.
Yes Jon, my experience with my XL2 is that going from 60i to 30p and then to 24p will actually help in low light because of the slower scan rate of the ccds allowing for more light along with the slower shutter speeds. This is visible on the exposure bar in the v/f when in full manual mode. In fact, the 'magic pix' mode of my Pana 953 does the same thing. It drops the frame rate and shutter speed down below what's accesible from the menus to give a 'usable' picture in very low light. Usable is a subjective term in that previous sentence.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #70
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Laing
faster shudder speeds .
Yes, shudder is always a problem in low light. :)

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #71
Major Player

shoot just before sunrise if you can, the last hour-45 minutes before the sun rises it is just beneath the horizon and shining up towards the sky, there's usually enough moisture and dust etc in the air to give the sky a nice deep blue glow, and mountains or buildings in the distance will appear in silhouettes

-Jon
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #72
Major Player

Need to see low light comparisons!

Is there anywhere on the net that compares the low light performance of the XL2 with other cams in its class, such as the Sony Z1/FX1, PD150, or Panasonic VX100?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #73
New Boot

Low light suggestions?

Hello all,

I'm beginning work on a Short film this weekend that has a lot of exterior night shots. Any suggestions or advice? Our cinematographer has a pretty descent light kit, but he's new to the XL2. Are there any settings which will help maximize our image?

More importantly I suppose, if anybody has any offerings on what not to do, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for any help,

Steve
Steve Interrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #74
Trustee

Do not let the gain get over +3dB if possible and do NOT use auto gain. You might want to adjust your knee setting to High (you will lose details in highlights) and if it start to lose some color, bump the color gain up a notch or two. If you HAVE to use gain, make sure you adjust the NR accordingly and turn down the sharpness a notch or 2. You can also try bumping the set-up level and master pedestal, start with the master pedestal. If you go too high, things may look a little flat...

Just play around with those settings, you should be good to go. The XL2 is much better in low light than many people think, it just takes some tinkering.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #75
Regular Crew

XL2 footage stills in low light

I know a lot of people are interested in how the XL2 handles low light. You can see some stills from a recent shoot I had in low light at www.snd.toobookoo.com. I think they show the XL2 does a great job.

Some of you may know that I've never owned a camera or shot anything before I purchased the XL2 recently and the M2 adpater (from Redrockmicro.com). On the webpage above are some stills from my first shoot ever. This was with the XL2 at 24pA and the M2 adapter with a Nikon 50mm lens. I edited with FCP, but the images are compressed because I haven't learned all the ins and outs of editing and changing formats for still images.

We still have some more shooting to do and I should have some video in about a week or so.

The actors are Luke Renn (2 pics) and Timothy Tyler from Indianapolis, Indiana.

Thanks,

Kelly
Bogen/Manfrotto 516 Pro fluid head
Bogen/Manfrotto 3246 legs
Panasonic PATC7WMS1 7" LCD

PowerMac G5 2.7 GHz
OS X Tiger
2 GB RAM, 400 GB SATA
ATI Radeon 9600
Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD

Final Cut Pro 5.0 Studio
Kelly Wilbur is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders