New FireStore FS-4 Disk Recorder with DTE Technology for Handheld Camcorders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 12th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #1

New FireStore FS-4 Disk Recorder with DTE Technology for Handheld Camcorders

Congratulations to FOCUS Enhancements for once again setting the Gold Standard for portable Direct To Disk recording with Direct To Edit (DTE) technology.

"It's a thrill to know that FOCUS Enhancements actually listens to their customers and to all of the input provided by those looking for the best DTE solution with the best value. FOCUS Enhancements clearly understands that the user interface is most important. The FireStore interface is easy to read and the menus are easy to navigate. The ability to create multiple keeper clip folders makes organizing clips a breeze. The FireStore interface is simply the best." - Don Berube, noisybrain. Productions

More info and pics on the FireStore FS-4 at:
www.focusinfo.com/products/firestore/fs-4.html

For more information about Direct To Edit (DTE) Technology from FOCUS Enhancements, check out the video modules from the FireStore FS-3 demo DVD:
http://www.focusinfo.com/products/fi.../fs3video.html

According to the Press Release from FOCUS Enhancements:
FOCUS Enhancements Announces the Affordable FireStore FS-4, Direct To Edit Technology for Hand - Held Camcorders

Portable FS-4 digital disk recorder model joins industry leading FireStore family

CAMPBELL, CA, – August 10, 2004 – FOCUS Enhancements Inc. (NASDAQ SC: FCSE), a worldwide leader in video production and conversion technology, today announced the latest addition to the FireStore family of Direct To Edit™ (DTE) Technology digital video disk recorders, FireStore FS-4. FS-4 is the first DTE product designed to bring tapeless technology to hand-held DV camcorders from JVC, Panasonic, Canon, Sony and others.

Designed to mount directly to hand-held camcorders, be worn on a belt or used in other situations where portability is a requirement, the FS-4 is ideal for wedding and event production, field production, independent film, corporate, education and many other uses. Powered by a removable battery system, the small and lightweight FS-4 interfaces with camcorders via a single FireWire (IEEE-1394, iLink) cable. DTE Technology allows hand-held camcorder owners to record clips in native NLE file formats so editing can begin immediately after shooting is finished. This eliminates the need to first capture then convert files prior to editing.

“Our industry leading FireStore DTE disk recorders have brought the benefits of tapeless acquisition and production to full size camcorders, desktops and studios all over the world,” said Matt McEwen, product manager for FOCUS Enhancements. “Now we are expanding our customer base by offering DTE Technology to hand-held camcorder owners at an affordable price.”

Two models of FireStore FS-4 will be available: FS-4 and FS-4 Pro. Both models will feature a 40GB (Three hour) internal disk drive, a 6-pin FireWire connector for interface with camcorders, a 6-pin FireWire connector for interfacing with a computer for editing or file transfer, a backlit status LCD display and a comprehensive set of control buttons including a navigation pad. Both models will also feature support for DTE Technology file formats including RawDV, AVI Type 1, AVI Type 2, Matrox AVI, Canopus AVI and QuickTime including 24p. FS-4 Pro adds support for the Avid OMF and Pinnacle AVI file formats, retro record modes so you will never miss a shot, user definable time lapse, loop playback, scene marking and multiple file folder capabilities. The FS-4 PRO also is available with an 80GB (Six hour) internal drive.

Where to Buy
FireStore FS-4 is expected to be available in December 2004 through the worldwide FOCUS Enhancements dealer and distributor network for a US MSRP of $799. FireStore FS-4 Pro 40GB and 80GB are also expected to be available in December 2004 for a US MSRP of $1,195 and $1,695 respectively. For more information on FOCUS Enhancements and its products, please visit www.focusinfo.com.

About FOCUS Enhancements, Inc.
FOCUS Enhancements, Inc. (NASDAQ SC: FCSE) is a leading designer of world-class solutions in advanced, proprietary video technology. Headquartered in Campbell, CA, FOCUS Enhancements designs, develops, and markets video solutions in two distinct markets: advanced proprietary video conversion integrated circuits (ICs) and affordable, high quality, digital-video conversion and video production equipment. Semiconductor IC products include designs for PCs, game cards, internet, set-top boxes, Internet appliances, and interactive TV applications, and they are sold directly to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). FOCUS Enhancements’ complete line of video presentation and video production devices are sold globally through resellers and distributors to the broadcast, education, cable, business, industrial, presentation, Internet, gaming, home video production and home theater markets. More information on FOCUS Enhancements may be obtained from the company's SEC filings, or by visiting the FOCUS Enhancements home page at http://www.FOCUSinfo.com.

Safe Harbor Statement
Statements about future results and other expectations constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based on current expectations and the current economic environment. The Company cautions that these statements are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. A number of factors in addition to those discussed herein could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. Demand for FOCUS Enhancements’ products, which impacts revenue and the gross margin percentage, is affected by business and economic conditions and changes in customer order patterns. Any projections are inherently subject to significant economic and competitive uncertainties and contingencies, many of which are beyond the control of FOCUS Enhancements. Important assumptions and other important factors, including risk factors, which could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements are specified in the Company's Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2003 and other filings with the SEC. The Company undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.

Thanks FOCUS Enhancements!

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow, 799 for a disk recorder? Very sweet deal. Could definetely be the direction that technology is heading.
Ryan Mattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #3

Agreed! Look at the size of that LCD interface http://www.focusinfo.com/products/firestore/fs-4.html
it's huge! Backlit too. Much better than just a couple of LED's, wouldn't you say?

- don
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #4
Trustee

Really cool. This may be the one that finally works vs. other manufacturers that have tried but failed to produce reliable portable drives. Being able to record in Matrox AVI for me would mean no need to go through the file conversion process common with other drives on the market. Also, I hate the tape to NLE capturing process.... it is just so time consuming and inefficient.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #5
Trustee

Likewise as I've been researching options for this sort of thing, it seems the most are unreliable. I'm sure Firestore has a good rep, so maybe this will be the answer.

Out of interest, what would this "consumer" version be missing over the "pro", less portable versions? Do you know Don?

Aaron
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #6

Hi Aaron,

The FS-4 Pro is available with an 80GB (6 hours of DV) internal drive. Also, the FS-4 Pro adds support for the Avid OMF and Pinnacle AVI file formats, retro record modes so you will never miss a shot, user definable time lapse, loop playback, scene marking and multiple file folder capabilities.

The FS-4 gives you the Retro Record, customizable Time-Lapse, Loop Playback, Scene MArking and Mulitple File Folder feature benefits found in the FireStore FS-3. We'll soon find out how much the 80GB option will be.

FOCUS Enhancements will be showing a working model of the FS-4 at the upcoming WEVA Expo in Las Vegas August 15-18.

- don
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Don, guess I shouldn't have said "consumer" and "pro" cause what I meant was what is the difference between these FS-4's and the other Firestore products like the FS3, or the old FS1? What are we missing out on with the smaller, cheaper units? Anything of great value for us lower budgetters?

Aaron
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

I can probably prepare a comparison page, but right off, the most significant difference between the FS-3 and the FS-4 is that the FS-3 features removeable, hot-swappable drives.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #9
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

I am extremely excited about this new FireStore. When the gang at Focus/Videonics first showed me the FS-1 several years ago i had two problems with it.

The first was the form factor. it was a mechanical mess. So bulky. They came up wit the carrying case, but it was still bulky as hell.

The second thing was i told them it had to allow for the files to be captured in a the native format of your NLE, so that you could immediately edit. They were already on top of that. They had nailed down quicktime and a couple of the then current Windows Premeire based NLEs (pinnacle and Canopus I believe), they just needed time to bring on the others.

Now they show me the FS-4. WOW!! This is what the doctor ordered! Small, compact, light weight and fully fuctional with your NLE. (Note: the base FS-4 will not support Avid OMF, a Pro version coming a few months later will). I think this is the product that will finally break the technology over the edge. FireStire works, the technology is now provedn. But getting prosumers and event videogrpahers to embrace it has been difficult. With the new form factor and pricing, I believe this will be the product that will bust out and make the entire category of direct-to-disk shooting a reality.

We're going to be offering a great deal on FS-4 for those folks willing to pre-order one. Don't have the full details yet, but I'll post 'em here once I do.

Gary
videoguys.com
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Would someone explain if this FireStore raw data can be transfered as an "uncompressed" file into the NLE - in much the same way we
capture "uncompressed" DV for heavy effects work in an 10 bit environment. Thanks.
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Bill, that's a question for Matt McEwen of Focus Enhancement. He moderates our FireStore discussion group, so you might want to ask him in there.

Old August 13th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #12
Trustee

this entire thread belongs in the firestore discussion group, why is it even in the xl2 forum to begin with? because don is a mod here? j/k :-)

chris, have you considered using banners for the ads instead of this? it'll come up on every forum page that way... i would have definitely clicked on an fs-4 banner.

just to keep it topical, is the controller board in the fs-4 designed by focus enhancements? this isn't just another port of that citidisk/quickstream board, is it?
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Dan, I have resisted banners on the message boards for years because I thought most of our members would find them annoying. However I'm considering text links to our sponsors at the bottom of each forum page. Whatever the majority of our membership is willing to tolerate, is probably how we'll go.

Old August 14th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #14
Focus Enhancements

Hi Dan,

Focus does design and manufacture all the FireStore models including the FS-4. FS-4 is based on the same technology that is in FS-3.

Matt McEwen
Focus Enhancements
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2004, 02:27 AM   #15
Inner Circle

would you be nice enough to add mpeg2-ts storage too ?
I know there is only on camera (JVC) doing this , but HD is the future.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders