century adapters? Is there a problem? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 6th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #1
Trustee

century adapters? Is there a problem?

This is to anyone who can answer but I know that Chris stated it somewhere but I can't find it now.

Is there a problem using the original XL1 Century optic wide angle adapter with the XL2? I had one before and it only cost $340 or something like that. It wasn't full zoom through but in the widest position it really helped! I think it was a .65 or something.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting one of these for the XL2 when I get it. I know that adapters on the end of the lens can distort the image and even cause it to degrade a little. But my sole use for this is for the few "event videography" gigs I still do. These clients don't care about image integrity that much so it is not an issue.

Can someone clarify what the problem would be with using one of these for the XL2? And if possible present some alternatives?
I was originally thinking the 3x canon lens but the cost is prohibitive and users are saying the image is soft, especially compared to the new XL2 lens. So I can't see investing in that at this time.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I can confirm that there is indeed an issue, regarding the new 20x lens. I have explained it in detail at the top of my XL2 User Tips page. I've spoken with Century, they are aware of it and are working on a fix.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Bummer. I guess those are some "serious" issues as I don't want my lens to get scratched! Thanks Chris.
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #4
Trustee

What's up with this item? Does anyone have any info on it or is this a misleading item? I know it has 72mm Threads but that doesn't guarentee compatability. Just wondering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29964&item=3830458533&rd=1
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Can't speak for its quality, but bound to have the same problem.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:20 PM   #6
Trustee

Chris,

I just got off the telephone with Century Optics and they informed me that only the .7x Wide angle zoom through has this problem. The man assured me that the .6x WA adapter that has about 8x zoom through will work fine as it has a curved element too! That is the one I had for the XL1 and intend on using with the XL2 when it comes out.

The first reason I post this is because I want to know what everyones opinion is of 3rd party wide angle adapters and what effect it will have on image quality.

The second reason is if this is indeed true you might want to update your articles to reflect this. Not being pushy....just trying to throw the dog a bone!

thanks,
Marty
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:10 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Marty -- much appreciated! I'll update that Tips page as soon as I can.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders