XL2 image problem - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 16th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #151
Major Player

I think it's been said dozens of times here and elsewhere but it is a difficult subject and people get confused so let me try to summarize. There is nothing wrong with the XL2 with respect to aliasing. Sampled systems are subject to aliasing which appears as moire in a two dimensional image unless the sampled information is strictly band limited to less than one half the sampling rate. Many cameras (especially still cameras) have optical antialiasing filters. The Canon video cameras apparently do not. Thus they are subject to moire but so are most other video cameras. Look at TV (including HD) and you will see moire. There is absolutely nothing that can be done about it except to reduce the spatial high frequency component of your image before it reaches the sensor. This can be done with blurring or diffusing filters. If you want to get rid of aliasing buy a blurring filter (and don't complain about the loss of resolution - you'll lose some). Once aliasing is in it is in forever - it cannot practically be removed though it is possible to mask it in post in some cases.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #152
New Boot

Thank`s Chris and A.J.

I will try to do some shots in the comming weekend,, Denmark is when Iīm off my job too Dark in the winterseason.
I will let You know if Your adwise helps on the moire problem.
A.J Thank You for a very concrete answer. I needed that during the discussion on this forum.
I understand that moire is a normal thing. I watch the Olympics too. I see it every time I turn on my TV, even in a very expensive movie produced by the Danish Television (DR), and I accept moire as an intergraded part of making video, but I just think the ammount of moire is much too high with my brand new, in all other parts superlovely XL2.
If it would be in anybodys interrest I have a shot as a very good evidence. I just donīt know how to link it to this page.
Sorry to bring this up again.
Per Oellgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #153
Trustee

Per

Just to reiterate one of my earlier posts on this subject... quite often the moire you are seeing is more relevant to the viewing device than it is the the camera. The originator of this thread was unable to show us the moire in the image itself because there was none. The higher resolution of the xl2's progressive mode will cause interlaced monitors to produce a moire even when one doesn't exist in the image itself. Such is the nature of moires...they are caused by related pattern frequencies in the subject, imaging device and output device.

There are several ways to avoid them.

1. Take care when shooting fine repeating rectangular patterns, moires often occur at one or several zoom/proximity levels..quite often you can eliminate the moire by adjusting the zoom, or moving the camera slightly.

2. Use a low-pass or diffusion filter to take the edge off of the fine detail. (this will help for moire that is happening in the camera (rare)

3. Lower the camera's vertical detail, and/or adjust the camera's sharpness setting downward (this will help with moire produced by the output device from an image that contains no moire (most common type of moire). This can also be accomplished in post.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #154
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Marty Hudzik :
Anthony,
What images are you referring to? I am asking because you quoted me in your post but I have no idea what images you are talking about. -->>>

Hello,

Here is the quote that I should have quoted:

<<<-- Originally posted by Clive Collier : This isn't a joke I'm afraid.

Here are some shots to show clarity of image which is very impressive:

http://www.showreel.org/XL2/xl2stills.html

Will post morray pattern in a moment -->>>

Sorry about that !

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders