XL2 image problem - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 16th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #61
Regular Crew

"However, understanding this might help us to stop chasing our own tails."

I think this is unfair Bill.

Firstly if there is a serious moire problem with the XL2 then the only result that matters is the full quality end one - i.e. native DV capture.

Secondly if we are talking about a problem with the viewfinder LCD and composite out to a monitor whilst shooting, then let's be clear about that.

I often shoot on the XL1s with an external monitor attatched to the composite out of the MA200, and this kind of thing is common, plus things like moire do become accentuated. It's not ideal but I have become accustomed to being pleasantly surprised when I finally capture the footage into the NLE.

Best regards,
John.
John Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #62
Regular Crew

John I think you misunderstand my intentions. I agree, there is a need for
an actual, true "this is exactly what was recorded" type of thing, and not what Clive has admitted to as being an interpretation of what he witnessed. An "interpretation" that could just as well be a pen and ink sketch as far as I'm concerned. And yes, you are correct, a native DV capture would do the trick- or at least it should be enough for a fair(er) analysis. But, taking this into account I have no idea why anyone would bother with this CREATED "representation" no matter how it was captured. On another note the gull looks superb and apart from moire testing, the smoothness of the background is very telling, not to mention other factors like the detail and highlight rendering etc. Clive is in a position that demands a more accurate approach than simply trying to describe what he feels is an issue. We need head to head comparisons and other fair methods of assessment.
All the best.
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #63
Warden

This thread is starting to chase it's own tail. If we read Clive's last post, he says he is leaving the discussion.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:05 AM   #64
Regular Crew

"This thread is starting to chase it's own tail. If we read Clive's last post, he says he is leaving the discussion."

Sorry Jeff, perhaps it is over until he responds further, but I thought it was quite interesting and it seemed to me that Clive left without answering the key question.

All he has to do is provide a native DV capture of the same image - then we can properly judge if the XL2 has a more than unusual moire problem.

Best regards,
John.
John Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #65
Regular Crew

yep, easy...

just post a native DV grab frame...
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #66
New Boot

Hi guys.

Just thought you'd like to know that I've finished my test of the XL2 for Showreel and I've managed to figure out how to eliminate the moire patterning that was evident when shooting in 25P mode. The magazine is at the printers today and we'll be out next week. As to my knowledge we are the first magazine to complete a full test of the camera, my publisher has agreed to send to article in pdf form to international subscribers at the
same time as it's received by UK subscribers, as international subscribers usually receive it a week or so later.

If you are interested, please email denise@showreel.org."
Clive Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:11 AM   #67

Clive--

Why haven't you posted the native DV capture as so many of us have requested? Sure would like to see it!

Thanks.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #68
New Boot

Sorry. Been busy lately.

Will post in a minute.
Clive Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #69
Trustee

Clive

Thanks for your information and feedback regarding the xl2. What was your solution in eliminating the moire patterning in the 25p mode?

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #70
Regular Crew

hi everybody...

What happened to this section ? no anwers....if clive left...somebody who has xl2....doesn't they observed anything about moire pattern.? Or no one is going to answer . This dv community is becoming fireworks...after releasing canon xl2.....
we fight about 8 bit .....found a solution lately but its 12 bit.
now with this image pattern issues.......no solution or hiding...may be canon guys might be observing this forum carefully.. might be coming with an answer..well....its hot in jamaica...everybody is hot for canon xl2....... well thanx buddies and folks.........

vamshi
Vamshidhar Kuchikulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #71
Trustee

varnshi

glad it's hot in jamaica...its nice, but not too hot here in california...

repeat after me....there is no moire problem...there is no moire problem...there never was a moire problem.....

hope this helps.

Barry
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #72
Regular Crew

hi barry

Sorry barry................i cant follow you in your band wagon....

keep cool my xl2 is coming soon.....if i observe....this pattern/that pattern ....you are going to buy my camera....?
Vamshidhar Kuchikulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #73
Trustee

<<...you are going to buy my camera....?>>

Varnshi

sorry...got my own on the way...no money back guarantees here at dvinfo.net.

Look...if you read through the thread you'll see a pretty good consensus amongst the more experienced voices that moire is a fact of life with all video cameras, and it has always been this way ....If you should stumble upon some with your new xl2 (which you probably will if you look hard enough) then you are in good company...(go grab two pieces of window screen and overlap them...see if you can do it without some secondary pattern --moire-- being formed.) This is exactly what you are doing with a video camera when you photograph a brick wall, or a set of venetian blinds...or a window screen. Monitors, tv's etc are even more likely to introduce moire (in fact as clive's stills show...they will show moires even when there isn't one in the camera image).

IF, and this is definitely an if.....the xl2 exhibits a higher degree of moire than another camera then it is simply because the xl2 is resolving at a higher, better, level...which is what we all keep saying that we want.... DVX users have had to deal with similar issues relative to line twitter ( a form of moire) as the resolution of the camera in progressive mode is simply higher that it needs to be for SD monitors (but play it back on a HD set and you'll watch the patterning go away and swear the image is HD).

Varnshi...if you get moire in an image, there are several strategies for dealing with it...and they are detailed earlier in this thread. Its your job as a videographer to understand not only how good your medium is, but also its shortcomings and limits, and to take the appropriate steps to avoid those shortcomings.

I think I'm out of hot air for awhile.

Cheers

Barry
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #74
Obstreperous Rex

Doesn't sound like hot air to me -- sounds like an experienced operator who definitely knows what he's talking about. Thanks as always Barry,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #75
Major Player

<<IF, and this is definitely an if.....the xl2 exhibits a higher degree of moire than another camera then it is simply because the xl2 is resolving at a higher, better, level...which is what we all keep saying that we want.... DVX users have had to deal with similar issues relative to line twitter ( a form of moire) as the resolution of the camera in progressive mode is simply higher that it needs to be for SD monitors (but play it back on a HD set and you'll watch the patterning go away and swear the image is HD).
>>

This is an interesting point Barry. I've actually never viewed any of our work directly on an HD monitor because...well, I've never shot in HD. Are you saying that, in theory, Xl2 footage will look similar to HD on an HD monitor?
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders