Canon 3x wide angle lens - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 13th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #211
Major Player

Wow! Really, only one motor to share the focus and zoom? Interesting! I would imagine that this is to reduce the length of the lens to be as wide as possible?
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #212
Major Player

Steadycam with XL2, 3x or 20x?

Just had a home steadycam rig built (codydeegan.com plans) and was wondering if any other XL2 users were using steadycams. Any tips? I have the 20x and 3x lens and was planning on using the wideangle for smoother shots, but I know that the auto focus is better on the 20x + the OIS. I will test both and go with what works best (only tested for 5 minutes with 3x and man it looks like footage was taken by a flying camera!), but just wanted some insight. Also, 60i is obviously smoother than 30p and 24p, but output will be to 24p DVD, so has anybody converted to 24p from 60i with good results? Thanks.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #213
Inner Circle

I think the 3x would give you more DOF, no? Then you have a little bit more freedom with the steadycam.
As I don't have the 3x, I can't say if there's much difference.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #214
Major Player

Yes to all the above except for one item.
Never use autofocus. Push AF for a quick set, but that's it.
For 24p footage at 16x9 and finished output to ntsc dvd, the xl2 is superb. Just stay smooth....
I use my 3x all the time with great success.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #215
Major Player

Thanks!!!!!!
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #216
Regular Crew

Sorry, I haven't taken the time to thank everyone for their responses.

Michael especialy... your images were superb.

As for Wilma, I live in Punta Gorda and only got the extreme western outer eyewall, so winds were only like 60-80mph. I got 130kt winds last year with hurricane charley, the sunny eye, etc... but it was all shot on my beloved low-end, single ccd camcorder.

If you are curious, you can see my charley would be movie here (halfway down the page, the guy hosting it offers a link):

http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showf...0&fpart=4&vc=1

The camerawork is absolutly horrendous, fyi.
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:48 AM   #217
New Boot

Canon 3X wideangle lens question?

Hi guys,
I am interested in Canon 3x wideangle lens for my XL2. Has anyone used a Canon 3X wideangle lens? If yes, can you write a review to me and if you have any footage with that lens, can you guys email it to me at zbasith@earthlink.net.
I am shooting with XL2 and am very much interested in the wideangle lens.
I'd really like to see some footage with it please.
Thanks,

Zia
Zia Basith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #218
Wrangler

Zia,

DVinfo's Search has had some troubles since a software upgrade, but you should be able to find many posts, some with links to frame grabs and footage, by either accessing Search from the home page or in some browser software (IE6 for sure) by right clicking Search and opening in a new window. The green-colored link at the bottom of my posts should work as well.

Nothing wrong with people e-mailing each other, but for a request of general interest like this, I always like to encourage people to post here rather than keeping the knowledge to themselves.

The 3x is a fine lens; preliminarily, I've found that despite conventional wisdom that it is a "soft" lens, it stands up pretty well for use at HDV resolution:

http://www.geosynchrony.com/scratchpad.htm

You'll enjoy using it.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #219
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia Basith
can you write a review... and can you guys email it to me
Just to echo what Pete said above, the whole point of a community message board is so that we can all learn from each other as a collective experience. Instead of a private email, please share your input in public, right here, so that everyone may benefit equally. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #220
New Boot

Canon 3x Lens Quit Working!!!

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem. My lens has been nicely protected in my equipment bag, and the other day I took it out for a shoot and it wouldn't work (no focus, no zoom, manually or with control.) The only thing that happens is a small "16" flashes beside the zoom indicator in the viewfinder. I have picture, but other than that ... dead lens.

If you have any info, I'd appreciate it. BTW, I have always powered the camera off before changing lenses.

Dave Wowchuk
Dave Wowchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #221
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wowchuk
I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem. My lens has been nicely protected in my equipment bag, and the other day I took it out for a shoot and it wouldn't work (no focus, no zoom, manually or with control.) The only thing that happens is a small "16" flashes beside the zoom indicator in the viewfinder. I have picture, but other than that ... dead lens.

If you have any info, I'd appreciate it. BTW, I have always powered the camera off before changing lenses.

Dave Wowchuk
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but a trip to Canon service is likely in order. There have been others that have experienced the same thing. Since the lens uses the same motor for zoom and focus, it's typical that you lose both functions at the same time. I believe this is the first occurrance I've heard of on the 3X.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #222
Regular Crew

Dave,

It's a pretty crazy coincidence, but I just got back from shooting and in the middle of my day my 3x stopped working as well. It has VERY few hours of work time and right in the middle of the day, just stopped. Here's what happened to me:

1) used it all day...no problems.
2) took it out for one of the last shots of the day and when I turned on the camera, I got a "check lens" error.
3) I took off the lens, reseated it and got a picture, but was unable to focus (manual or auto) and was not able to zoom.
4) when I got home, I threw on the 20x and realized that works just fine.

So, camera seems ok. But what is going on with the lens? I don't know. Just thought I'd let you know you weren't alone. If you find anything out, let me know. I'll do the same for you.
Old December 17th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #223
Regular Crew

Well,

I loved my lens until stopped working this morning. There's a post further up the boards on this issue. Before this morning though, it was a great lens. I've found that some of the cons I read about the lens (the soft focus issue listed above included) were just things that I needed to think about while shooting. Just like the camera itself, you need to use it and get to know it. All in all, I was really happy with the images.
Old December 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #224
Inner Circle

The Canon 3x Wide Angle lens is a great addition to your toolkit.

The issue of "softness" has been addressed above.

I find it very useful. On my most recent shoot, during a Christmas festival concert, it was the only lens that I used. The standard lens would not have been wide enough, and I could zoom in as far as I needed from my fixed position. My movements were restricted due to the nature of the event, nor could I change lenses without missing some of the material. The lens worked great for this event.

Overall, I use this lens at least once in over half of my shoots.

The lens is not "image stabalized", but this is not an issue, you will not miss it in most instances.

In my opinion, this is a good purchase.
Old December 17th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #225
Major Player

The same happened to me.

Sounds like a blown lens fuse. Didy ou take it off without powering down the cam? I got mine replaced.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders