Canon 3x wide angle lens - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 17th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #226
Regular Crew

Matthew,

In my case, I did not change lenses with the power on. I always power down when changing lenses. When you had a problem, did you replace the fuse, or did Canon replace the entire unit?

Jamie
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #227
Major Player

Canon programmed all 3x lenses to break at midnight 12/17/2005.

I thought you guys knew?

*smile*

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 18th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #228
Major Player

Someone else had this problem a while back, suggested that they take off the main battery, the backup battery and the lens. Put the backup battery back in after over 5 minutes, the lens with a full and prominent CLICK and finally the main battery and see what happens. In his case, the erros went away. Give it a try, you never know. Also as has been mentioned here a couple of times, change the lens with full power OFF or better yet, take the battery off and change the lens.
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #229
Major Player

Well, I had my little "accident" fairly early in my XL2 career, and the store, was good enough to replace the entire lens and send back the blown one to canon as a defective product!

Good store.

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #230
New Boot

Well, it's nice (or maybe it isn't) to know that this has happened to others. December 17th ... mark this day on your calendar for next year. I hope sending it back to Canon is a simple affair ... maybe they'll fix the focus-thru-zoom issue with the lens too. Lamers.

I got spoiled this past week when using the Sony DSR450. But it wasn't convincing enough to make me spend $40,000.

DW
Dave Wowchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:36 PM   #231
New Boot

So I got my lens back from Canon, and they had o replace the PCB inside. I must have really cooked it. I asked them to check into the lens not holding focus through zoom ... and they didn't fix it. Now they want me to send it back again. How lame.

Is this a known problem with the lens, or what?

DW
http://www.artisanmedia.ca
Dave Wowchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #232
New Boot

!!EXACT!! Same Problem(s) as Dave

Dave I have had the exact samee problems that you have had. Back in early December my 3X suddenly stopped working... of course in the middle of my shoot. Focus, Zoom, and Iris went out. I had to send it back to Canon for repairs. It just came back and now the damn thing will not hold focus. I called the dealer where I bought and they called their Canon Rep. Lucky for me they replaced it with a new lens. I shouldn't say lucky since this is what they should do, but in these dark days of horrible customer support-- well, i think everybody knows how it is.

My advice-- call your Canon rep.
Joe Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #233
Trustee

last august my 3x lens topped working.No focus , no zoom. sent it back to Canon, and it came back working fine. Last month the SAME thing happened again. Sent it back again, and this time spoke to "Sal" at the jamesburgh N.J. factory repair center. he said it was the printed circuit board. he was helpfull and I got it back in about 10 days.
I plan to consult the ouiji (sp?) board for it's opinion on how long the lens will keep working this time.
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #234
Regular Crew

3x lens incompatible?

i noticed that in some of my shots using the 3x lens, 16x9, the edges of the frame were out of focus. is the lens a damaged unit, or is this really a problem?
Mo Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #235
Inner Circle

Mo,

There is some anecdotal evidence, that the back focus on some early 3x lenses is out when placed on the new Xl2's. Apparently the newer versions of the lens don't suffer from this. It's possible this is your problem. Send the lens to Canon and have them check the back focus.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #236
Regular Crew

thanks. it was a rental so i guess i just wont rent from them
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #237
Major Player

it's always a good idea when renting to let the place you rented from know if there's something wrong with an item so they can repair it - that way in the future, you'll be happier and so will others renting. They may also refund you the rental fee if the item isn't working properly.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #238
Inner Circle

Ahhh, a rental. No telling how it's been used or abused before it got into your hands... so yeah, tell the rental house about it.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #239
Regular Crew

actually, i did report it. i don't really know the supplier. it was the producer's contact. they probably got the cheapest. it even had fungi.
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #240
Regular Crew

sample frame:

http://www.geocities.com/moiseszee/MAMedgeblur1.bmp
Mo Zee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders