Some Zoo footage.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 11th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #16
New Boot

Marty I am curious...

Was it shot at 24p? if so what pulldown scheme?

Any particular custom program setting?

what software do you use for editing?

Thanks again!
Carlos Porras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #17
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos Porras : Marty I am curious...

Was it shot at 24p? if so what pulldown scheme?

Any particular custom program setting?

what software do you use for editing?

Thanks again! -->>>

IT was shot 2:3:3:2 pulldown or 24PA for short (uh oh...panasonics coming after me!)

White balanced using the default outdoor setting.

Custom settings:

Cinnegamma On
Cine Colors ON
Color gain +2 or 3 (can't remember)
everything else at default

Thrown together in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 using the panasonic 24PA presets.

Two minor tweaks in software. Increase the saturation a little and increased the contrast a little. Like +10 on each or something.

Very little done but it brings out the colors and darkens the blacks.

I figured even real 35mm gets color corrected and timed to have a certain look. I am not afraid to touch stuff up in post. In my mind this makes the XL2 film look just as good or better than the DVX. The DVX has these type of settings in the camera....just not as tight. I always had to color correct everything I shot with the DVX as it often would go too far into the oversaturated look anyway. So doing a minor tweak to the XL2 is no biggy for me.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #18
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Marty Hudzik : <<<-- Originally posted by Tony Cruz : Marty,

Great, clear footage. If you don't mind I would like to try a streaming experiment with it on my server. If it works (streams fine) then I can share the URL in this thread. What do you think? -->>>

Go right ahead.

By the way it was the stock 20x lens on this footage. I am not lucky enough to have a 16x or 14x manual lens. -->>>

Marty, finally have 'xl2zoo.wmv' streaming on my server. Please check it out at http://www.tlcmediacom.com/14908/14935.html -- there is no loss in the clarity of your original file. Lookin' good!
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #19
Trustee

Tony,
2 things I noticed.

1> The aspect ratio seems to be off. It looks like it is streaming in a 4x3 window. It should be 16x9. THe black bars further crop it to around 2.35:1.

2>The frame rate seems odd. Did you change it from the original 24P framrate? Cause its looks jumpy or something.

Let me know!
Martty
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #20
New Boot

Marty,

You're correct. The aspect ratio is off ~0.378 overall, due to the streaming conversion. The fps was at 18 and I was able to reset it to 24.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders