Colour Shifting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 17th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #1
Tourist

Colour Shifting

I've been shooting with the XL2 for a couple of months now and on a couple of occassions I've noticed skin tones changing during shots, usually during camera moves. These green/magenta shifts are most apparent on broadcast monitors, but visible on consumer tvs too. Has anyone else noticed this?? I'm guessing that changing backgrounds are confusing the camera, but these have all taken place during fully manual operation. Could an auto WB be taking over? If so why, and how can I make it stop?
Jordan Cushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #2
Major Player

I suspect it is auto white balance but it is certainly easy to confirm whehter that is the case or not. Simply duplicate a situation where you saw the color shift and shoot it again twice - once with auto white balance and once with manual. If going to manual eliminates the shift then auto was the cause. Lots of us shoot exclusively with manual white balance for just this reason.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #3
Tourist

Colour Shifting

Thanks for the reply A.J., but the puzzling part is that this has happened USING MANUAL WHITE BALANCE. So it has me wondering if certain conditions make the auto kick in (since that's the likeliest cause I can think of, it doesn't look optical, flare,etc).
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Major Player

If you are on manual WB then the relative R, G and B gains should be locked. Nothing should cause them to change. Is it possible that when this happens you are following your subject into an area where the color quality of the illumination is different? An example might be an interior lit by windows where the subject moves from a window with nothern exposure to one with southern. Both daylight, but of different color quality. Another possibility might be another object (or person) which reflects light of a particular color onto the subject as it moves closer to or farther away from the subject or as the subject moves closer/farther relative to this object.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:15 PM   #5
Tourist

colour shifting

A.J., loving the theory, and glad to have some feedback, but I'm talking about an electronic shift of some kind. One example: a tilt down from a desktop to a person hiding under it, sidelit from under the desk. As her face appears at the bottom of frame it is pinkish, as the camera settles on her it has shifted to slightly greenish. The skin tones would both be acceptable on their own, but the change within the shot draws attention to itself. I'm assuming you haven't come across this with the XL2, I never had this happen in two years of shooting every day with the XL1 (or any camera for that matter).
Old November 20th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #6
Trustee

Jordan

In this situation you described, what type of light sources were present?

Did you have any kind of filtration on the camera (polarizer, uv...)? How about a w/a adapter

One other thought...you said this was most visible on your production monitor...is it visible on a computer screen...say a quicktime movie?

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders