XL2 and iMovie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 6th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #1
Tourist

XL2 and iMovie

Greetings all, and Happy New Year!

Newbie here, and I'm really glad I found this site - its been really helpful.

I just have a quick question:

Me and some mates are looking to branch out and start making our movies with better equiptment. One of my friends has convinced his parents to buy him an XL2. The only hardware that we have at the minute is my iMac G5 with iMovie. The question is will we be able to import the footage into iMovie using Firewire because at the minute I cant afford to buy Final Cut.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Major Player

I had the XL1s and it worked with iMovie and Final Cut Express. But to be sure go to Apples website and see if it will work.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Major Player

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, but imovie has no native 16X9 support at this time. Your wide screen picture will be squashed into 4:3- at least that's what happens to me with my pdx10... but I would be very happy if someone were to tell me how wrong I am!

If either one of you are students, you can get an academic discount on FCP, which should cut the price in half... at least it did for me a year ago. Good luck.

Incedently I love imovie, I think it is a great little program, that doesn't get near enough props, and you will be astounded at what you can do wit it- BUT be sure to save your work frequently. I've lost a couple of hours of work over the years when imovie "unexpectedly shut down" on me...
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Tourist

Bob,

I looked on the Apple website and it lists a lot of Canon cameras as ones that can be used ( inc. XL1, XL1s) but XL2 is not listed.
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Chris,
where did you find that list on the Apple site? I can't find it and I'd really like to get a look at it.
Thanks
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #6
Tourist

Michael,

you can find it here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/devices.html
Old January 6th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks chris,
It appears that the sony pdx10 (my cam) is also unsupported. I'm pretty sure that I've imported video into it with the pdx10 but I have a little cam that I mostly use for a playback deck so maybe I'm wrong...
guess I'll have to find out.
Thanks again for the link!
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #8
New Boot

I have successfully imported footage from XL2(PAL) to iMovie, but as mentioned in an earlier posting, only in 4:3.

Since 99 percent of my footage is shot in 16:9, (which was one of my major reasons for purchasing the XL2), I had to move from iMovie to FinalCut Express or FinalCut Pro to edit. [There is (as well) a lot of other good reasons for that specific move...]

As far as I'm concerned, there is little need for FinalCut Pro before you need to edit HD footage - and when the price tag is four times higher for FCP than for FCE, (that be in Norway...) - this one was a simple choice for me.

(The connection between FCE and XL2 works flawlessly, although the XL2 is not listed on Apples "Supported Devices" page).

Bw

Sven O.
Sven Ohrvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Tourist

Thanks Sven,

that's exactly what I needed to know
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #10
Major Player

I haven't looked at FCExpress in detail yet. Does anybody know for sure that it supports 16:9 & will not squash the image?

JS
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #11
New Boot

Yes!

Sven O.
Sven Ohrvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I have an XL2 and FCPHD and can not capture from the camera. Apple lists the XL2 as compatible but there are well documented issues with Cannon cameras and MAc's. It seems that if you are capturing to an external FW drive or have any external FW drives connected the camera is not very cooperative. The consesus seems to be that Canon's do not like to share the FW bus with other devices, meaning you can't have anything else connected by FW at the same time as your camera. Go to the Apple FCP forum and run a search on XL2 and you can read for yourself and form your own opinion. I wouldn't let that be the only thing that stops you from getting the camera though. Its a great camera and you don't have to capture from it. I went out and spent $200 on a little mini DV camcorder to capture from. It is a lot of wear and tear on an expensive piece of gear to capture from the XL2 in my opinion.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #13
Major Player

FCE & 16:9

Thanks, Sven--JS
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Check this out...
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@957.dlz8auHbId1.0@.68a0b5f0

towards the bottom it addresses the Canon/FCP conflict and the solution.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Imovie

Hi

I have heard that a new version of imovie (5) is to be announced next week at Macworld in San Francisco. It appears the new version will do both 16:9 and HD.
How accurate this story is only time will tell.
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders