XL2 and Anton Bauer Ultralight2 / XL Wedge at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 15th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #1
Major Player

XL2 and Anton Bauer Ultralight2 / XL Wedge

Just to let the folks out there know about this problem -

The base of the AB Ultralight2 / XL Wedge is flat. The XL2 viewfinder has a "front ridge" of about 2mm - which blocks the placement of the UL2 / XL Wedge on the XL2 hotshoe.

You need to find a plastic spacer washer about 2mm - 3mm in thickness, and has a 1/4" diameter hole to raise the UL2 / XL Wedge to clear the front "ridge" of the XL2 viewfinder.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Wrangler

Thanks for sharing not only the problem, but the solution! AB users, take note.

Cheers,
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Sigh! This technique works only for the Ultralight2 only. It does not work for the XL wedge. The UL2 hotshoe clamp can be removed and its height adjusted - so you can insert a rubber / plastic washer in to raise the UL2 height relative to the hotshoe. The XL wedge has NO such provision - thereby, making it impossible to raise its height. I am waiting for a workaround from Anton Bauer - if it is possible at all.

TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Would it be possible to cobble together a spacer of some kind using still photo hotshoe parts? I know Kaiser and Hama make various accessory shoe items. Perhaps combined with bits from the Lowel Cam-Link. One form of the Cam-Link, or another will get the light a few inches higher.

Thanks for the info!
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi all,

I understand the problem and its apparent solutions. It is looking for a rigid piece of metal to connect the two (hotshoe and XL wedge) that is causing the real problem. I don't want it to be so high that it causes the structure to sway ... and those "ball and socket" stuff are out of question. It is mostly permanently locked in place - no need for ball and socket in this case.

Most of the things I have seen out there don't use the "professional" size 1/4 inch bolts to secure their housings - AB things are all 1/4 inch. That's the problem.

Anton Bauer seems to have a solution here - use their dimmer instead of XL Wedge - which I am investigating now.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders